Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently, the fan on my CPU has started to make squeaking noises, and the temperature isn't great either. I have purchased a 120mm fan to help with the cooling, and it made a difference. I was wondering if the wraith spire is a good replacement option for the current CPU cooler because I'm not comfortable with removing the entire motherboard to liquid cool.

Argistrix_0-1611618728647.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Argistrix 

That is series number as indicated by the xxx in the numbers. You need to post the full model or product number. You can find the PN in the HP Support Assistant, or press the Ctrl/Alt/Del keys for the info window to pop up.

If you have an AMD cpu system, the coolers were the same setup as the Intel based systems on the Obelisk series.  The backplate was not universal and you will most likely have to remove the motherboard anyway as to peel the old backplate off. Its glued on with sticky tape. Just don't try to remove the metal plate underneath it. So I dont think a Wraith cooler will fit properly.

Sorry. HP didn't make it convenient to swap CPU's.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The image isn't working so the information is: OMEN by hp obelisk desktop 875-1xxx

HP Recommended

Hello @Argistrix 

That is series number as indicated by the xxx in the numbers. You need to post the full model or product number. You can find the PN in the HP Support Assistant, or press the Ctrl/Alt/Del keys for the info window to pop up.

If you have an AMD cpu system, the coolers were the same setup as the Intel based systems on the Obelisk series.  The backplate was not universal and you will most likely have to remove the motherboard anyway as to peel the old backplate off. Its glued on with sticky tape. Just don't try to remove the metal plate underneath it. So I dont think a Wraith cooler will fit properly.

Sorry. HP didn't make it convenient to swap CPU's.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice. What I ended up doing was just ordering the fan from the wraith, and replaced the fan without removing the heat sink. The idle temperatures are in the low 40s and I'm satisfied.

HP Recommended

Ahh, very good then. Glad you got it figured out.

Stay safe  🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.