4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS won't update, OMEN Command Center won't install

OMEN 880-125se P/N X6C11AA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm trying to install the OMEN Command Center from the Windows store.  The installer runs and attempts to download updates it says are required. The first update is for the BIOS. It downloads, installs, restarts the computer, then the installer opens again and immediately attempts to reinstall the BIOS update again. It installs, restarts and contiues forever in this loop. Furthermore, the installer opens again at startup after deleting the app through windows and again attempts to install the BIOS update. Files needed to be manually deleted in temp folders to stop this. The BIOS update never sticks. When I attempt to update the BIOS manually from the HP Support website, after putting in my model number it says no updates are available. What needs to happen here to get this to work? What am I missing?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Level 12
Level 12
5,780 5,768 545 1,203
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I was not aware you could install HP system or software updates from the Windows store.

Please don't do this.

No BIOS updates at your HP PC's Support site means there are no BIOS updates.

Regards

0 Kudos
Mta1981
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's just the command center app thats coming from the Windows store, the bios and drivers that are being installed are trying to be done by the app itself.

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,780 5,768 545 1,203
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please don't use this app to install system files or BIOS updates.

Check your PC's HP Support site for updates.

Regards

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ya HP Apps are now updating through the Windows Store just as are other OEMs. Its part of a new ruling by Microsoft, not HPs idea.  Its normal for the OCC installation now to update other files needed like drivers. The bios has to be updated also.

I'm guessing its perhaps updating the wrong bios and failing since there could be two different SSIDs that come with your model.

Your specs say you have the Tampa2 motherboard, SSID: 8437.

Confirm you have SSID: 8437 in the information menu. Tap the F1 key on startup to access the info menu. It will tell you the SSID and also what bios version is installed.

Example

Info menu.jpg

Then manually install the bios update.

SSID: 8437 = bios version F.22 REV A   sp88706.exe

Mta1981
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Photoray002 wrote:

Ya HP Apps are now updating through the Windows Store just as are other OEMs. Its part of a new ruling by Microsoft, not HPs idea.  Its normal for the OCC installation now to update other files needed like drivers. The bios has to be updated also.

I'm guessing its perhaps updating the wrong bios and failing since there could be two different SSIDs that come with your model.

Your specs say you have the Tampa2 motherboard, SSID: 8437.

Confirm you have SSID: 8437 in the information menu. Tap the F1 key on startup to access the info menu. It will tell you the SSID and also what bios version is installed.

Example

Info menu.jpg

Then manually install the bios update.

SSID: 8437 = bios version F.22 REV A   sp88706.exe

Well I seem to not have fkey functionality. When i try to install the bios manually it says its successful but when I restart and check the system info in windows, it still shows the previous version.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mta1981 wrote:

Well I seem to not have fkey functionality.

What do you mean you "dont have fkey functionality"?

If you rapidly and continuously tap F1 right after hitting the power button, does the Information Menu eventually show up?

If so, your F- keys are working.

Open the Bios and see what version is displayed. Turn off the PC, then power on and rapidly tap F10 before Windows boots. Use the arrow keys to go to File>System information. What does it say the version is?

bios info.jpg

0 Kudos
Mta1981
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Photoray002 wrote:

@Mta1981 wrote:

Well I seem to not have fkey functionality.

What do you mean you "dont have fkey functionality"?

If you rapidly and continuously tap F1 right after hitting the power button, does the Information Menu eventually show up?

If so, your F- keys are working.

At boot tapping f1 or f10 does nothing i just boot right into windows. tried on two keyboards. i dont understand, im uncovering some other issue now. I've been able to get into bios in the past, and change the boot order, etc but I cant get into to anything with fkeys at startup now

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I recommend you contact HP support directly for warranty issues.

Explain to them what you discussed here. I wouldnt try updating the bios again until you talk to them.

Use this link to navigate to Support...

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,780 5,768 545 1,203
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mta1981 and Photoray002,

I had the same problem getting to the BIOS or the HP Start Menu (tapping the function keys at boot) when using retail keyboards.

Disabling Fastboot did not help.

It seems some retail keyboards don't initialize fast enough.

I had to use the HP provided keyboard to get the function keys to work at boot.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation