Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix 810-270st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade my video card to the MSI Geforce GTX 1660. My computer power supply is 600 watts. The 1660 power consumption is 130 watts, and the recommended power supply is 450 watts. The card has an 8 pin power connector, and my power supply has an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector available. Any reason why their might be a power supply problem, or will this card run on my computer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@pantherj  Wasn't this question answered already?

Yes the power supply will work as stated in the other thread. Your power supply has enough wattage and correct connectors to work as your photos show.

You need to simply measure the available free space inside the tower and compare the measurements of the card on the cards website.

Your motherboard uses PCIe x16 Gen 2.0 and that graphics card uses PCIe x16 Gen 3.0 but the Generation is backwards compatible. The card will run a little slower but not enough for you to really notice.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@pantherj  Wasn't this question answered already?

Yes the power supply will work as stated in the other thread. Your power supply has enough wattage and correct connectors to work as your photos show.

You need to simply measure the available free space inside the tower and compare the measurements of the card on the cards website.

Your motherboard uses PCIe x16 Gen 2.0 and that graphics card uses PCIe x16 Gen 3.0 but the Generation is backwards compatible. The card will run a little slower but not enough for you to really notice.

HP Recommended

c03652660.jpg

Here is a picture of the actual motherboard with things like the fan ect not shown. I think it will fit but not 100% sure.

HP Recommended

Yes it will fit the mobo, but that's not what I'm saying to measure.

You need to open the side of the case and look where the existing graphics card is. Measure from the back end of the case where the card meets, to the other end (front end of the case) to see how much total length is showing.

Some cases don't allow much room, others do. I don't have your case to measure it, you will have to open it yourself and take a look.

HP Recommended

IMG_2006.JPG

The cards dimensions:
Dimension
  • Product Height
    5 inches
  • Product Width
    1.8 inches
  • Product Length
    9.7 inches
  • Product Weight
    1.9 pounds
  • I think it will fit but I have no experience with this.

HP Recommended

Very interesting with that socket 2011 system. Which CPU did your CTO come with? Did it come stock with that red liquid cooler LED fan or did you add that to it?

The length is going to fit. The only issue you might have is PSU cables dangling down from the power supply. You will probably have to cut the zip tie to move them around the new graphics card.

The other issue I see is AIR FLOW. You really don't have enough in there. My guess is you would need a bigger (Micro ATX mobo compatible) case that will allow for the cabling to be routed behind the motherboard. Also will have better air flow through the system because of front fans which this cannot have. I cannot tell if the motherboard is using a proprietary all in one power switch cable from the power switch on the case, but you should be able to work getting a new case connect, I think.

You could go ahead and add the graphics card now and see how your temps are. But I think you may end up needing a new case in the long run.  🤔

What do you think @Grzwacz ?

HP Recommended

The CPU is an Intel Core i7-4820K (Ivy Bridge E) (130 W) 3.7 GHz 4 cores.

It came with that fan.

HP Recommended

Hi Pantherj and Photoray002,

Did a graphics card upgrade on a HP 810 150 CTO having the same chassis, power supply type, and HDD cage location. The MB was a Pittsburgh version 1. Very similar to the MB in this PC. 

The new card was dual slot and 10.2 inches in length. The new graphics card fit but the power supply cabling (good catch Photoray002) was a problem.

We changed the power supply to a modular part (Corsair RM650x) to clean up the cabling. May have used a RM550x, that area is also tight because of the connections to the optical drive. This was done about four years ago, can't remember.

Regards

HP Recommended

Good to know, thanks @Grzwacz 

@pantherj   So yes, the cabling will be an issue, so is the room and airflow in that case.

Like I said, you can try it as is and see how it goes. Test your temperatures. It will either work or you might have to change the power supply and/or the case to one that will give you better cable management.

With cable management, I mean moving the cables to the other side of the case behind the motherboard so you have better airflow. Like this example of a custom I did several years back.

Yours wont have the room that this case has, but you'll get the idea of not having cables hanging down.

my custom rig.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.