Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 30L Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone. So about a week and a half ago I got this computer. It performed extremely well for that time. Last night while I was playing civ v the machine black screened and powered off suddenly. There was also that quiet "popping sound" you sometimes hear if you unplug a monitor from the wall before powering it off. 

The machine starts back up just fine but this happens at random intervals. Generally it happens when there is a game but it did happen once just from the browser. My CPU is running 70 degrees C and the GPU is similar. 

I had a lot of my  usbs used with different stuff. That really should matter because the peripherals were not power draws except for an oculus- this computer with a 500W power source should be able to handle an oculus just fine as far as I know. 

It also might be that my power supply is fried or something within one week which is kind of absurd. It also might be that the power strip its connected to isn't getting enough power but that would be kind of strange. Virtual assistant mentioned factory resetting and updating bios.

I need this computer working reliably asap because its also my work computer for engineering school. It is extremely frustrating that this product is already having a fatal error from normal use. I really enjoyed the purchasing process and felt like I got a good product but this makes it hard to recommend, and I really want to. I really appreciate community or HPs help with this problem. Thanks everybody

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Further investigation also says that a 750 W PSU might help. Does anyone know how to talk to someone at hp about exchanging that. I don't have time to send in the product and i really feel quite annoyed at the idea of dropping hundreds of dollars of upgrades for parts that ilI just bought. Does anyone know how to chat or call with a live customer service rep?

HP Recommended

I am afraid that you would have to go through the whole warranty process if its a faulty PSU or any other hardware, can you please list your full specs, as the 30L have multiple versions and configurations. 

HP Recommended

Ok so I have an update. I have tried using a wall outlet instead of my power strip incase the powerstrip was a bottleneck- still fails. I tried a cpu stress test, and that didn't cause a failure every time. Gpu stress test likewise only failed sometimes. A power stress test reliably fails. The failure is always preceded by the fans racing up and the cpu temp hitting about 85 degrees celcius. So the way I see it there is either a cooling problem, a driver/bios problem where throttling isnt working properly, or a power supply problem. Now everything besides my keyboard and mouse is disconnected to the computer so if it is the computers psu then the psu i was sold is not capable of handling the rest of the rig. There is also some talk online that a faulty gpu can cause this sort of thing but that doesn't seem right to me. 

Here are my specs

500 W HP custom PSU

Geforce 2070 Super

Ryzen 5 3600

16 GB RGB RAM

480 GB SSD

HP Custom Motherboard

It would be a huge inconvenience for me to ship this computer back to hp and then back again to me. I have to do some heafty computing and my laptop just wont just wont cut it. I cant go to the university's facilities because of Covid and i have 2 deadlines a week. There has to be something more than that HP can do for me to solve this problem without leaving me without a computer for a month or even more than a week. If it is a psu problem, there is absolutely no reason HP should have sold me a product with a power supply that cannot handle the hardware. PC part picker wont even let you do that without warning you and they give you free reign over your rig. HP must run relevant stress tests before shipping, right? There must be some other explanation or way to try fixing this short of me shipping the machine back to you? If that is really what must be done I need to speak to a live rep about how this happened and what HP can do to make this right. I really hate to be so stern about this, I really do love the product, but this is an unacceptable problem for a brand new machine. I am willing to believe that this is a fluke and I just got a dud machine but I really need help making this right. I would really like to be able to recommend this product but I am currently extremely disappointed.

If I have to send the product back, could HP provide me a temporary machine for work, or some product to compensate?

HP Recommended

I also know that you are not nessesarily a rep of HP, if you are not please know that my frustration is not directed at you.

HP Recommended

If an HP rep can confirm that this is most like a problem with an insufficient Power Supply, would it be possible for HP to ship me a 750 W PSU and I can install it myself without hurting my warranty.  

Alternatively, I could return the product for a full refund and build a rig myself.

HP Recommended

Not a problem my friend, the frustration unite us here, I have plenty if it myself, but over the years and time I learned that patience pays off. I am also an owner of the 30L and have plenty to say about it too, but that's a different story.

Now to your issue, I would advise you to get on the phone with HP's support and try to reach some of the top tier support levels technicians, they are very informed and would be able to assist you with the troubleshooting. If it comes down to sending it back for warranty repairs, I don't believe that they will provide anything in the meantime, you would have to wait for your computer to be returned.

But again, start with a lot of patience and get on the phone with those guys, I wish you a good luck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.