Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Model No. 880-020
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Having recently retired and enjoying gaming, I decided to purchase an HP Omen gaming desktop. I previously used an Apple desktop for video gaming and never once had a problem with the product. However, it was an older computer and could not handle newer, graphics-heavy games.

I have had the Omen for approximately a month, and it continually shuts itself off -- even while playing old-school, graphics-light games such as Doom 3. When the problem occurs, the computer makes a strange sound, the monitor goes off, and the Omen emits three beeps followed by three beeps in a different tone. It does this several times before the system shuts down completely.

To say I am disappointed is putting it mildly. Is there anything I can do myself to have this new desktop function normally as expected, or do I have to look into the possibility of having it repaired or replaced -- hopefully under warranty at no additional cost?   

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi

An error code of three beeps followed by three beeps indicates a problem with the Radeon RX 580 installed in your PC's motherboard.

You can review the HP BIOS diagnostics codes at this HP Support site.

Click on Beep and LED descriptions.

Expand error codes for PCs released after April 2015.

Scroll down to the 3:3 cadence to review what may be causing this issue and possible troubleshooting techniques.

You could first try installing the latest HP provided Radeon driver using the following link: (sp82802.exe).

If a driver update and the troubleshooting steps suggested at the HP BIOS support site (above) do not fix this problem, then you will have to contact HP for support.

Run boot time HP Diagnostics to see if you get a graphics hardware error code before you contact HP. Give HP the error code when you make contact.

HP may have to replace the Radeon RX 580.

Tom

HP Recommended

Hello:

Thanks for the response and suggested fix. I installed the latest Radeon driver, as you suggested, but unfortunately the problem persists. I sent a message to HP Support, but have not gotten a reponse yet. Hopefully I will hear from someone soon. It is extremely disappointing to experience these system failures in a virtually brand new computer. 

HP Recommended

Hi

You're welcome.

Did you run HP boot Diagnostics to check for hardware errors? Having a hardware error code will expedite receiving a replacement component.

Stuff happens. I receive quite a few bad components from various OEMs when building systems.

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi again, Tom:

Thanks for your follow-up message.

No, I didn't run an HP boot diagnostics before contacting HP support. I wasn't sure how to do that.

Since I haven't been contacted yet, I could do it and have the information available when HP support responds. I am not especially technically adept, but can follow instructions well if you could let me know how to do the boot diagnostics.

Best regards,

Jeff Weber

HP Recommended

Hi Jeff

You're welcome.

Power on your PC and tap "Esc".

Then select "F2" from the BIOS system startup menu.

You can run system tests or specific components tests.

Please refer to this HP Support site for more information on using HP Diagnostics.

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.