Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the Odense2-k motherboard, and I was wondering if I could upgrade the cpu to a intel i5 9400f, or an amd ryzen 5 2600. Or what cpu would be recommended for streaming, with an rtx 2060.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

NO, you can only upgrade the Odense2-K motherboard with an Intel 7th gen cpu that runs at 65W.

So you can only upgrade to the i7 7700 (non K version). You cannot interchange INTEL with AMD CPUs.

Here is another thread that this was explained on...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Cpu-upgrade/m-p/7186930#M6506

HP Recommended

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

How about with the i5 7600k?

HP Recommended

Could I just upgrade my motherboard to fit a ryzen 5 2600 or ryzen 5 1600 something along those lines? Except I dont know what I would have to look for. I know this would void the Warranty. 

HP Recommended

I don't see why not, but I don't know of anyone who has actually done that type of upgrade. The case fits a micro ATX type motherboard. You will have to purchase a new copy of Windows also. The current one will not be transferable.

I don't have access to one of those 870's, so look on the back of the case and make sure the I/O Shield is removable (I'm pretty sure it is) to make sure you can add the new shield from the new motherboard.

The Case wiring for the power button, etc might not be standard and if not, you will have to take the time to rewire the connectors to fit the power pins on the new motherboard. I pretty sure that wont be necessary, just be aware of it in case you have to.

Personally, if you are going to spend that kind of money, I would want a new graphics card that has more VRAM that the 3GB 1060 has. If you need to swap that out also, you might as well build a new PC and use the Omen for the stream rig and the new PC for the gaming rig. All this swapping is not worth the trouble and cost in my opinion.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.