5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

CPU is using 100% on one video game

Omen by HP 870-251
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I currently own an Omen by HP 870-251 with an Intel i5-7400. However, this CPU cannot handle PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds with other applications. I have discovered this by joining a game and then pulling up my Task Manager. PUBG is the only game that pushes my CPU to 80-100%.  I would like to upgrade my CPU, which also means upgrading my motherboard, CPU cooling, and possibly my PSU.  WIll I be able to upgrade all of these with an i7-8700k with an ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E motherboard and a Corsair h100I v2 240mm CPU Liquid Cooling Fan? I have been doing my research and my PSU can hold up to 500W and all of this plus the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition is below the 500W mark. However, I was looking to upgrading the PSU as well just to not take any chances of it not being able to run.  Any opinion would help and I would like to make sure everything will fit, especially the liquid cooler.

3 REPLIES 3
Level 12
Level 12
5,701 5,689 540 1,195
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings a_coff,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

I don't recommend changing all of the components you are planning on doing while trying to use the HP chassis.

You will have to buy a new W10 product key when you change the motherboard.

You may have some front_panel connection problems using the HP chassis with an ASUS motherboard.

The Corsair 240 mm radiator may not fit in the HP chassis. Look at the chassis. Do you see two adjacent 120 mm rad/fan mounting points at the top or front of the HP case?

Just buy a new case that supports a 240 MM AIO CPU liquid cooler and be done with it.

You either have an HP PC or you have a custom built PC.

Regards

a_coff
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Awesome. It was heading towards that direction since I’m gonna be buying a new set of core components. I just thought I would ask just to save some money but building has always been something I have been wanting to do. It’s just a bit intimidating but I think I can manage it.
0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,701 5,689 540 1,195
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi a_coff,

You're very welcome.

Keep your HP PC intact as a backup system.

Check YouTube for PC build guides.

There are tons of "How To" videos. Look for a comprehensive guide for the best results.

You can review a PC build video at this link. There are more detailed builds on YouTube but this is pretty good.

Graphics card prices are falling but RAM is kind of expensive right now.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation