Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power Desktop 580 1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavilion Power Gaming Desktop Computer, AMD Ryzen 5 1400, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 16GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, 128GB SSD, Windows 10 (580-148, Black).  Looking to get better gaming and streaming performance.  I have about $400 to upgrade currently.  Looking for suggestions on what to upgrade (motherboard? CPU? Both?  Something else?).  Thanks.  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mich113 , welcome to the forum.

I have reviewed the Product and Motherboard Specifications pages.  I believe that the best upgrade for your money would be to the AMD Ryzen7-1700 (Summit Ridge) 3.0 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads (Pavilion Power chassis only).  It is faster, but more importantly, it has 8 cores/16 threads.  The Ryzen 5-1400 has only 6 cores/12 threads.  My "Rule of Thumb" for upgrading the processor was at one time, "If I couldn't double the speed it wasn't worth the money".  Now, however, the number of cores and threads definitely makes a difference.

Another upgrade that you could think about for later is a better video card.  However, this upgrade would most likely require a power supply unit (PSU) upgrade, also.  The PSU in your computer is only 300W.  Most of the newer cards require at least 400W to run properly.  I always recommend a PSU with at least 100 to 150W more than the card requires.  This gives you some power for peak needs.  In gaming this is very important.

One last suggestion would be a larger M.2, SSD.  This will give you more free space and possibly increase the speed.  I like Samsung products because they seem to work better with HP BIOS/UEFI.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I will look into those options.  Thank you so much for your response and suggestions!  Much appreciated.  

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Mich113!  I am always glad to help.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.