Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 30L - Gt13-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm not very knowledgeable about computers, but I'm trying to learn. I was wondering if I could add an additional ssd, as it says there's 2 m.2 sockets, I just cant seem to find the second one. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The other M.2 slot is currently occupied by the wifi card and that is all it can be used for.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

The other M.2 slot is currently occupied by the wifi card and that is all it can be used for.

HP Recommended

@RtGriff   @Paul_Tikkanen 

It does have 3 M.2, and 2 of them are socket 3 key M.    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06592761

No one has confirmed its usefulness, you go ahead and report back. Strange unit.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you! That makes sense. I presently have a m.2 nvme 2 TB ssd, is there any way I can use it without removing the current one? Apologies for the stupid questions.

HP Recommended

@RtGriff 

read above, I was into an edit.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

No need to apologize.  Every question is important.

Unless there is some kind of adapter you can add into a PCIe x1 slot to use it, I doubt that you can.

See if your PC is supported by the HP cloud recovery tool, which you can use to make a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your PC.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

Then it would be a matter of removing the smaller NVMe drive and installing the 2 TB one.

That is an expensive piece of hardware to leave unused.

HP Recommended

Thank you for being so kind! I'm grasping at straws here, but is something like this what i need?

https://www.amazon.com/YATENG-Controller-Expansion-Card-Support-Converter/dp/B07JJTVGZM/ref=asc_df_B...

I checked the cloud recovery and it said "not available please contact hp support"

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Yes, that would be exactly what you need...IF your PC had a PCIe x1 slot, which according to the specs it does not.

I just assumed it did.

So, I guess that option is out too.

The video card is in the PCIe x16 slot, so you can't even use that.

In a few weeks, your PC may show up on the list of supported PCs for the cloud recovery tool.

Since it is so new, HP may have not gotten around to uploading the recovery image.

I got a new HP notebook in July, and when I went to make the recovery media for it using the cloud recovery tool, it indicated the PC was not supported.  Then sometime in August it was, and I was able to make the USB recovery drive.

HP Recommended

I'm sorry, I didn't see your edit. The motherboard you posted looks a bit different than mine and I'm not sure what you mean by its usefulness? I'm sorry, I'm still learning.

HP Recommended

Ah, darn. I was almost proud of myself. I tried it again and realized missed a letter on the product number. It says it is supported, so maybe I'm not totally in the weeds here.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.