Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I want to upgrade my CPU in my PC, it seems not to be keeping up with my needs. My motherboard only allows an upgrade to one other CPU (Intel Core i7-7700) which has the same amount of cores as my current CPU. I believe I need a CPU that can handle more processes at once (that particular CPU is also around the same cost of a higher core CPU and motherboard). I understand changing out certain parts in a HP computer voids the warranty, but I believe I am no longer under warranty anyway. 

I probably would upgrade to this motherboard if possible: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119161?Item=N82E16813119161
I'm not sure if this would be compatible with an HP system though, or if there would be problems with the OS? 

Thanks for any help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If your case is similar to other Omen towers, that motherboard should fit as long as it is a standard mATX size board.

HP Recommended

Yeah its still in the original OMEN tower, and the motherboard is the regular mATX size. I'd love a few confirmations just to be safe

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The Odense2-K motherboard (Link) appears to have standard uATX  mount points. This is important; you don't want a hidden chassis standoff contacting the motherboard.

Verify the rear I/O shield on your PC is not integrated with the chassis. You need to be able to install the Asus rear I/O shield to replace the motherboard.

Any of the following motherboard connections on the Odense2-K motherboard could be proprietary. You will have to verify this is not true.

The replacement motherboard should have a front panel USB 3 Type C connector or you will lose this function.

It appears the HP motherboard has a standard 24 PSU connector.

HP sometimes uses modified front panel connections for the power switch, HDD LED, and power LED. You would have to verify you can connect the front panel cables for these functions to the new motherboard.

One last point, you will have to purchase a new Windows product key if you replace the motherboard.

Best practice is to replace the case and power supply when replacing the motherboard (MB). You don't have a HP PC anymore when you replace the MB.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.