Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
870-219
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I have the opportunity to upgrade my 1060 graphics card to a EVGA GTX 1080 FTW in my 870-219 but I wanted to make sure I have the space available. Does anyone have any experience upgrading this model? 

Thanks,

Andrew

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@esseQvideri , welcome to the forum.

Here are the Specifications for the card: https://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=CED0347B-30FE-45FE-808C-A64DF6A5218A

You can find the measurements for the card in the section titled "Dimensions".  Once you have this information you can measure the space where the card will be installed from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case.  There should be enough space for the card to fit easily with additional space for good airflow.  Airflow is extremely important with the newer high power cards.  They develop a lot of heat.  HEAT is your enemy!  Also, make certain that your current power supply unit (PSU) has the appropriate 8-pin (6+2-pin) PCIe power connectors.  This information is in the section titled "Requirements".  If not, you will have to upgrade the PSU, as well.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

It will fit, but you need to worry more about Power Supply, something at least 750W with a very good 12V support, 60Amps and above. The other thing is, your CPU might will be a bit of a bottleneck for the 1080. 

HP Recommended

Hello
I will advise you like @old_geekster , to check directly by measuring
depending on the model chosen
If you have this computer, it is mentioned for the graphics card:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05474320

Dimensions: 11.2 cm x 17.3 cm (4.4 x 6.8 in)

in the given link we can read:

• Height: 5.064in - 128.626mm
  • Length: 10.5in - 266.7mm

The HP cases are just right in size, that the card fits, this is not enough, you have to have enough space for ventilation, so if it is too tight opt for a smaller model

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.