Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Twiffle
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can I install different Operating System on HP omen 880-103no ?

HP Omen 880-103no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Currently this PC came with Windows home edition and it restricts stuff, such as modifying files inside C drive that are game related inside their respective game folders.  Which I find very distracting and annoyed with. I disabled parental controls etc, yet it still won't let me modify things like user rights and stuff and i'm pretty sure it is due to HP using "home" version instead of "pro" . No idea why use Home, when Pro is much much better.

I'm considering of installing Linux on this PC or Windows 10 Pro. My question is can I install drivers and everything just fine on both of them or is there some softwares that are preinstalled into this current OS that would somehow affect performance?  There seems to few HP software installed, but I don't really find them useful at all. Not to mention I'm not even using Omen Command Center as it uses hella lot of resources and is by no means light at all.

Motherboard firmware updates shouldn't disappear upon installing new OS I assume? As well as the hardware working just fine?

5 REPLIES 5
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,121 3,234
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There should be no reason you cant clean install Windows Pro or Linux if you wish.

I run Mint/Ubuntu occasionally from USB. Just depends on the distro and what those guys have setup for drivers. HP itself doesnt have Linux drivers for your Omen. I would give what ever distro a test via USB Live first and see how it reacts.

Bios updates will remain unaffected with a clean install.

0 Kudos
Twiffle
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah I was just mostly concerned if it affects warranty or anything or how the AIO inside HP Omen behaves. Yeah theres no Linux drivers... but there seems to be "wine" if I recall that would try to make em work? or is that just for games.

Also it seems that HP Omen uses different drivers for Graphic card.. like numbers that you can't even find on nividia's official driver page.  Can I just dual boot and install Linux on my 2nd HDD ? Question is how do I remove the dual booting, once I'm done testing?

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ive installed on the same disk with dual booting, haven't tried a 2nd HDD.

When I needed to remove the dual option, I just used the CMD in Windows.

HP wont warranty Linux installs. Ive heard users say when they contact Support, they were told they weren't covered because they installed Linux. Any modifications should be removed first before sending in for repairs. My Opinion as I cannot officially represent HP Support.

0 Kudos
Twiffle
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Won't warranty Linux Installs? As in if it somehow makes your pc unable to boot etc? I don't think that would happen. If something does happen hardware wise.. I'd just remove Linux and install Windows.

Any idea on Graphic card drivers on HP's website though? It seems like it is a custom driver. Would this indicate that this driver is there to downclock the graphic card due to the PC only having 500w PSU for GTX 1080ti ?

As for installing OS on 2nd HDD it's because the SSD is kinda small size. I got OS on the SSD and just 2 games and there's right now only 18gb left.  Probably would have to invest on a bigger SSD.

I made this post on this forum, cause I couldn't find HP having e-mail support anywhere, and I don't feel like calling there. Last time I had to do that with the finnish one.. there was a person on the phone who barely knew anything about computers. They contacted me 2 weeks later and the person said he had to ask his supervisor about the problem(back then my problem was that CPU/GPU was running quite hot) which got fixed later on with firmware update.

As long as I know that none of HP software that was preinstalled is needed.. I will install Linux or Windows Pro. 

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As I already stated, you can run the Omen on a clean install of Windows Pro and you dont have to install the HP Software.

You will have to ask your distro's forum on the Nvidia drivers and what they recommend.

Otherwise, you should be good to go.

Good luck. 🙂

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation