Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion 690 0002no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently bought this gaming desktop pc and wonder if I'll be able to upgrade my gpu to 1060 3gb gtx. Is it also possible for me to upgrade the psu if necessary?

System specifications:

CPU:I5 8400

RAM:8gb Ram

GPU:1050 gtx

PSU: 180w 80plus gold

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi gamingfreak91,

Just came across a new HP PC (590-p0057c) with the same type PSU ( 310 watt) connectors you need.

Click on this link.

The motherboard connections for this PC are similar to your motherboard connections. Click on the (+) sign under motherboard to see the motherboard PSU connections.

Scroll down to "Power supply". Click on the (+) sign.

HP makes larger power supplies that will work with your MB. I would guess HP has 400 watt or greater products.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings gamingfreak91,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

You should be able to install a 1060. But you will need to upgrade the existing 180 watt PSU to at least a 300 watt PSU.

The new PSU will have to be a small form factor (SFF) PSU.

Looking at your PC's motherboard suggests your PSU does not use the standard 24 pin power supply connection to the motherboard. The motherboard image shows a standard four pin CPU power connection but it also shows a non standard four pin main power supply connection. The motherboard also has an eight pin SATA power connector. This could be a problem.

This is the first time I am seeing HP use a modified PSU main power connection to the motherboard.

Proceed with caution.

You may have to check HP Part Surfer for a compatible 300 watt or greater SFF PSU. I have not checked retail channels( Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec) for a PSU having the non standard motherboard power connectors HP is using on your MB.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help! As for the motherboard 8 & 4 pin connectors, shouldn't I be able to install any psu 300w+ as you recommended and just plug it in on the motherboard? Even if psu doesnt come with like 4 pin I could just use a 8pin connector from psu and leave the remaning 4 pins on the side. What do you think?

HP Recommended

Hi gamingfreak91,

The MB also has a special PSU fan connection.

You have to contact HP to buy a 300 watt or greater PSU having the correct connectors to power this MB.

HP has modified the MB PSU connections and the PSU connectors using non industry standard connections.

I don't see how you can use a retail SFF PSU with this MB. Retail PSUs have one 24 pin MB power connector and one split four/eight pin CPU power connector.

You have to get this component (PSU) from HP.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi gamingfreak91,

Just came across a new HP PC (590-p0057c) with the same type PSU ( 310 watt) connectors you need.

Click on this link.

The motherboard connections for this PC are similar to your motherboard connections. Click on the (+) sign under motherboard to see the motherboard PSU connections.

Scroll down to "Power supply". Click on the (+) sign.

HP makes larger power supplies that will work with your MB. I would guess HP has 400 watt or greater products.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.