Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

MY PC SPECS: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05380412

Is it possible for me to upgrade to an RTX 2070 with my PC, minus the PSU. Is my case big enough to fit the card and/or provide adequate cooling, or do I need to transfer to a new case. 

Please and thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

It is possible to upgrade to a 2070. 

The 2070 requires one six pin and one eight pin PCIe PSU connector. The typical 2070 also requires a 550 watt or greater PSU.

You would have to check the prospective 2070 card length. EVGA (Link) has a 2070 which is 10.6 inches in length. Other OEMs make 2070 cards in longer lengths. Some 2070 cards may extend beyond two slots.

You would have to do some measuring; the chassis, the PSU. and can your PC and motherboard (MB) accept a dual slot or greater graphics card.

It is not possible to answer your question on cooling. You may need an additional exhaust fan if the chassis supports this. You would also need to verify your MB has available fan headers.

Regards

HP Recommended

Yes, it’s a wonderful upgrade I have an RTX 2070 in my omen 870-244 I added a 700w PSU and 1 tb Samsung ssd evo and 16 more gigs of ram no issues at all.

HP Recommended

Also of note I have a Nvidia RTX 2070 FE dual slot 2 fan model

HP Recommended

I am getting ready to do this as well. Have you had any issues with temperatures? My only concern is with airflow...

HP Recommended

To those who replaced the PSU,  can I ask if a standard PC power supply works in the 870-244 (or what model did you purchased)?  Actually my model is a 870-129.. but they appear physically identical.

I am looking at replacing my 1070 card with an RTX 2080, and have confirmed the dimensions work ok, but would like to upgrade the PSU.

Also the current 1070 GPU uses a 6+2pin connector, and the RTX 2080 requires an 8pin + 6pin PSU connectors and recommends a 650W PSU (min)..

HP Recommended

Hey MichelleST, 

I put in an EVGA - 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 Plus Gold PSU and it fit fine, but I think most PSU's are the same size so you shouldn't have an issue. I put a 2070 super in mine and it runs sweet. Good luck with your upgrade!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.