Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
hp pavillion gaming dekstop 690-0XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.
I have an hp pavillion gaming 690-0XX (I do not know the exact reference). it has a gtx 1050ti, an intel core i5 8400 processor, a 310w PSU and i would like to know if i can upgrade it with a gtx 1650 ventus oc from MSI. Do I have to update the bios, or just change the graphics card?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@William96,

OK,  lets get into it:

1) Delete all software that pertains to the original card.

2) Delete the driver (found in device drivers) just to be safe.

3) Power down and unplug power cord. (motherboard still has standby power applied).

4) Open case:  Use ground wrist strap . Remove old card, and install new card. Close case.

5) Plug in power cord, and restart. It will boot, but in 640x800 (terrible).

6) Install new card software, update drivers from website.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@William96

While the HP 690 series reference is enough to comment, those units used 2 models of the 310W. That is the issue. The L63964-004 has a PCIe6+2 power plug.   Some GTX 1050Ti cards (example EVGA) required this 6+2 power plug.

So, not knowing this is important as some of the GTX1650 cards also share this issue, whether or not the card needs a 6+2 power plug. You need to solve / answer this question.

Not BIOS update required.

The other question will be answered when you reply to the above comments.  No sense implying what to do, as yet.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your fast reply.
th 1650 ventus xc doesn't need any power connector.
I specially chose this one for this reason, my PSU doesn't have any power connector.
So, i can just put that card in my system with no problem, without do anything ?

HP Recommended

@William96,

OK,  lets get into it:

1) Delete all software that pertains to the original card.

2) Delete the driver (found in device drivers) just to be safe.

3) Power down and unplug power cord. (motherboard still has standby power applied).

4) Open case:  Use ground wrist strap . Remove old card, and install new card. Close case.

5) Plug in power cord, and restart. It will boot, but in 640x800 (terrible).

6) Install new card software, update drivers from website.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Ok  i was searching the solution for days now : )

Thank you very much  : )

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.