Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
hp pavillion 580-137 ryzen 7 1700
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was wondering if the motherboard on my pc could take a better graphics card. On the spec list its called a "basswood" It didn't tell me much about upgrading anything.  I do realize the case is quite small, could I upgrade it if I got a bigger case? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@joeyalfred , welcome to the forum.

There are two versions of your computer.  One has a "c" at the end of the model number and the other has a "ng".  Which of these is yours?  Here is a guide to help you find it.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

it ends in c 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @joeyalfred!

Here is the Motherboard Specifications page.  There is a PCI Express x16 slot on the motherboard.  I found after further research that the slot is PCI Express 3.0.  It will definitely support a better card.  The best way to know if the card you choose will fit is to measure the the space from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case.  You should assure that there is enough space for good airflow around the card.  This is very important for newer, high power, cards.  Check the power requirements and necessity for supplemental power connectors of the card that you choose.  Your power supply unit (PSU) is only 300W and won't have supplemental power connectors. 

Now, what about changing the case.  HP has their motherboards made to their specifications to assure that they work with all of the other components.  The major concern is that the holes in the motherboard won't match the stand-offs in the new case.  This could cause a short and damage all of the system.  Also, some members have reported problems with the front case connectors in the new cases.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.