Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 580-092na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I’m looking to upgrade my case and don't have the budget to upgrade my motherboard and cpu altogether so just wanted to know if I could take my motherboard from my HP and put it into the new case.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings Idk3,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You could run into some compatibility issues when installing a HP motherboard (MB) in a retail case.

The Odense MB is a uATX board. It should fit in an NZXT case. You have to verify the motherboard mounting points match the NZXT chassis standoffs. You can toast the MB and attached components if a hidden NZXT MB standoff touches the HP MB PCB.

You will lose access to the HP card reader.

HP sometimes uses proprietary front panel connections. This means the front panel NZXT connectors may not work with the HP MB.

I would not go there. 

Maybe a different forum member has successfully moved a Odense MB to a retail case. I have not tried this.

But I am aware of common issues which tend to make this operation fail on some HP MBs.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings Idk3,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You could run into some compatibility issues when installing a HP motherboard (MB) in a retail case.

The Odense MB is a uATX board. It should fit in an NZXT case. You have to verify the motherboard mounting points match the NZXT chassis standoffs. You can toast the MB and attached components if a hidden NZXT MB standoff touches the HP MB PCB.

You will lose access to the HP card reader.

HP sometimes uses proprietary front panel connections. This means the front panel NZXT connectors may not work with the HP MB.

I would not go there. 

Maybe a different forum member has successfully moved a Odense MB to a retail case. I have not tried this.

But I am aware of common issues which tend to make this operation fail on some HP MBs.

Regards

HP Recommended

Alright thanks i firgured that pre built PC's couldnt really switch over so im prob going to have to save up for a couple months to get a new motherboard and everything. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi Idk3,

You're very welcome.

You can try the upgrade.

Use the case in a new build if the HP MB does not work correctly.

Just be careful. An obvious MB to chassis connection compatibility would be a red flag.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.