Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion Power 580-130
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have the above mentioned pc. Though it performs beautifully, I've seen concerns mentioned regarding the 300w power supply. I imagine this could become relevant if I tried to overclock or upgrade to more power-hungry components someday.

I incidentally have an EXTREMELY old gaming pc with a fried full-size atx motherboard and a 350w power supply sitting around.

Since 350w is more than 300w, I am assuming the fifteen year old 350w is "better" than my brand new 300w, and I could "upgrade" my current pc by throwing in this ancient power supply.

Is it that simple?  I mean, am I likely to encounter any sort of incompatibility? Are there other variables I would need to evaluate to determine if the fifteen year old power supply is actually "better"?

Thanks guise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Theres an old saying, if it aint broke... dont fix it.

How is an old 350 w PSU from 15 years ago going to be better than the modern PSU designs today? Its not.

Your system wasnt built to be overclocked, the bios is locked.

This is what your CPU can be upgraded to...

Processor upgrade information

• TDP: up to 65 W
  • Socket type: AM4
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    AMD Ryzen7-1700 (Summit Ridge) 3.0 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen5-1600 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 6 cores/12 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen5-1400 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 4 cores/8 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen3-1200 (Summit Ridge) 3.1 GHz, 4 cores/4 threads
    65 W

You can upgrade the memory up to 16GB.

You can upgrade the hard drive.

I would leave the PSU as is since its working just fine as you pointed out. If you plan on upgrading the video card, then perhaps I would consider just getting a new PSU also.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Theres an old saying, if it aint broke... dont fix it.

How is an old 350 w PSU from 15 years ago going to be better than the modern PSU designs today? Its not.

Your system wasnt built to be overclocked, the bios is locked.

This is what your CPU can be upgraded to...

Processor upgrade information

• TDP: up to 65 W
  • Socket type: AM4
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    AMD Ryzen7-1700 (Summit Ridge) 3.0 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen5-1600 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 6 cores/12 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen5-1400 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 4 cores/8 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen3-1200 (Summit Ridge) 3.1 GHz, 4 cores/4 threads
    65 W

You can upgrade the memory up to 16GB.

You can upgrade the hard drive.

I would leave the PSU as is since its working just fine as you pointed out. If you plan on upgrading the video card, then perhaps I would consider just getting a new PSU also.

HP Recommended

CRISIS AVERTED

Thanks for your rational suggestion

I meant overclocking the gpu, not CPU, but I suppose the intelligent thing to do would be to just see if I have problems before messing with the psu.

HP Recommended

There you go. Let us know if you have other questions. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.