10 REPLIES 10
krzemien
Level 7
683 665 28 151
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot update bios on my notebook 15-ay120nl notebook

Will you perhaps elaborate a bit more so we can help?

What BIOS version and how are you getting it - via web or through HP Support Assistant?

What is the issue exactly?

Is it this one?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-15-ay100-notebook-pc/12499456/model/15...

What happens when you download it and try to run it?

What is the current BIOS you're on?

Are you still covered by warranty? If so, have you raised it with HP Support?

Etc. etc.

0 Kudos
jimmy_ccet
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the answer.Actually,my problem is another.My notebook is freezing randomly.I folowed the procedures of troubleshooting of HP Support Assistant.Nothing helped ! Last thing to do (last solution that the troubleshooter was showed),was to update the bios.Actual bios version is F21. HP Support Assistant  was updated the bios automatically one,or two months ago.I don't now what version it was instaled by manufacturer.But,after updating i saw version(F21).I folowed the  troubleshooter procedures to resolve freezing problem,and i downloaded  and tryed to instal ultimate version of bios from the hp support page.Was going well.But,when i restart the notebook,nothing happens ! The version of bios  remaines  the same,F21.

I apologize for my english.I'm not an usual user of language !

P.S. I don't have an HP warranty .Only standard comercial warranty of seller,wich is for 24 months here in Europe (Italy).

0 Kudos
jimmy_ccet
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error

0 Kudos
krzemien
Level 7
683 665 28 151
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In the release notes in the link above one can read:

- Prevents the occurrence of a potential issue which may cause unpredictable system behavior.

So I gather that updating BIOS to vF.30 is more than recommended in your case.

What happens exactly when you run that file? Does it tell you that activities compelete succesfully and prompt you to restart your laptop? Or power down perhaps?

If so, then - and unless I'm mistaken as I'm not sure how this update works on laptops - something does not work correctly upon the reboot as that's when BIOS should be updated.

Regarding the warranty: again, and unless I'm mistaken, you should be covered by standard one-year HP warranty irrespective of the place of purchase (assuming it's a new equipment). Which in turn allows you to speak to HP Support to help you troubleshooting this problem.

jimmy_ccet
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes ! The instalation is going well,till is prompt-me to restart the computer.I do'it so,but after restart nothing happens.Last solution is to call support number of HP Italia to see what to do for future 

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
krzemien
Level 7
683 665 28 151
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yep, speak to Support and let us know the outcome.

There are aternative ways in which BIOS can be updated (=via prepared USB stick and upon booting your laptop), Support should be able to guide you through all that if necessary.

0 Kudos
jimmy_ccet
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes ! Problem was solved using Recovery Manager. I restored the notebook at the Factory Configuration.I downloaded the Recovery Manager from HP( assistant operator from HP support center is suggested by phone to do so) ,becouse on my computer  it was vanished.That's why i couldn't do it before. Then i proceeded to restoring the notebook at the factory configuration.It's worked ! In the first place, I noticed that when the HP Support Assistant was made the updates was downloaded and instaled a new version of bios.At that time i did not knew what version of bio was instaled by manufacturer,and what version tryed to instal HP Support Assistant.Maybe something went wrong,end the update was not finished well. Then the computer was start freeezing.Now i see that the original version of bios(from factory) was F 21.It's the same now. But is a complete version.After the update made by HP Support Assistant,when i tryed to test the state of memory or SSD by pressing F2 ,i sow there was only tow options.Now is complete with all the options. Thak you anyway for your support ! Best regards !

0 Kudos
jimmy_ccet
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
krzemien
Level 7
683 665 28 151
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're welcome. So I'm guessing you're back in the game now, with laptop working as expected?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation