Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 25L Desktop - GT12-0050
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just purchased 32GB 3200MGz HyperX fury RGB memory to replace my 16BG HyperX kit and despite HP saying that the Omen 25L memory is "fully upgradeable" there is no option to get it to run faster than 2400MHz despite the old memory running at 3200MGz! Also can't control the RGB function at all! Is there a fix for either of these issues?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Its not going to happen, any memory purchased outside HP store can't be controlled trough the Omen Command Center, it will default to the stock speeds.

Only memory purchased via them for $158 per 8GB is approved, as its micro-coded in the bios, the only option for people like us is to spend a lot of money or use Ryzen Master/Intel XTU to enable the XMP profile on our own, but not "advisable" by HP. 

So, basically welcome to our nightmare, at least you ordered it with 16GB, as many of us got only the cheapest 8GB version with the idea to upgrade on our own, as its the easiest and most simple upgrade that anyone can do. 

HP Recommended

so is there any advantage to running 32GB @2400 over 16GB @ 3200? is it worth keeping or what?

HP Recommended

Well if you don't need the speed and just the amount, that's the obvious advantage. But even at the 3200mhz that sock memory is using a JEDEC profile with extremely slow timings CL22/22/22, if you find faster 2666mhz (CL15/16) or 3600mhz 16CL (that will default to 2666mhz) you are looking at faster transfer speeds compared to 3200mhz CL22.  

HP Recommended

yeah it looks like its running at @2400 MHz CL17. So screw it. I'll just keep it. I did speak multiple times with HP customer service and they said that they are "aware of the issue" and will get back to me "as soon as possible". Pretty sure the don't give a **bleep**.

HP Recommended

Yes you are correct on your assumption, I had the 30L since July and spent literally hours upon hours on the phone with multiple levels of sales and support people over at HP, and I am not expecting any favorable for us resolution of this major issue. 

So for me at least, I can educate all the potential customers and advise them to order the maximum amount that they need when configuring the computer initially, and not plan to upgrade on their own.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.