Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 690-002no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I got a Pavilion 690-002no and would like to change the graphics card to a GTX 1660S card. That requires a power supply of 450 W and the current power supply is only at 180W, it's a PCH023 power supply. 

There are 2 x 4 pins and one 7 pin output at the PCH023, what kind of other power supplies can I use instead and what are the current output  named? It's rather difficult to find a realcement when I'm not sure what I need to replace. 

Hope the above make sense, otherwise please let me. 

Looking forward to hear your suggestions, 

Best regards 

Lasse 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Lasse8751,

The L05757-800 does have the PCIE 6+2 power plug. It is marked on the grid in green.

The inline 7 pin is a 12v connector for the fan.   It has 3 wires.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Lasse8751,

There is a slight error in your model number, so I used what I had knowledge of, the HP 690-0020na.

HP put proprietary PSU's in many models  There is a 500W PSU available.   Here is my spreadsheet.  Your model has been verified to work with it.  Question to you. Your existing PSU is 180W, add the 125W rating of the GTX 1660 Super, and I get 305W.  If you get into an issue with ordering, might the 400W be OK?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your swift reply. I live i Europe so I'm afraid it's an European model (and that the NO is short for Norway since it seems like it have been imported to Norway in the first place) so you might not have this model in US. I found it here https://support.hp.com/ro-en/document/c06001982

The motherboard isn't a Sunflower but a Lincs, the current GPU is a GTX 1050 ti, the processer is an i5 -8400 Hexacore, so I guess it' more like the 690-0036nl Lincs model in your spreadsheet. 

I have looked at your spreadsheet but I'm not sure how to read it. 

Is the power supply found at the 2nd row? So for the 690-0036nl I should be looking for a L05757-800 powersupply? 

A 400W power supply might be enough, as far as I can see will the 1660 Super require 50W more than the current 1050ti. so if the current power supply is up for it, a 230W should be enough. 

Do you know if there exist adapters so I can use another manufacturer than HP for the powersupply? 

BR

Lasse

HP Recommended

@Lasse8751,

Thank you for the clarification on the unit. Yes, the grid is correct.  The Sunflower and Lincs both share the same needs. There is no recommended adapter. Some have tried, but failed. The choice is yours, either the 400W or 500W.  About the grids, the stock setup of the HP 690-0036nl has the 180W and GTX 1050.  It is marked with "black X" and the stock GPU card is listed. The "green X" is listed under the L05757-800 as it was reported to have been installed.  The OP did not mention what card  was then installed. That happens.  Rarely do I get follow-up info.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Thanks for the clarification on the spreadsheet, that make sense 🙂 

The GTX1660 Super we would like to install requires an additional 8 pin power supply directly at the card. I believe that usually comes from the main power supply, but it doesn't seems like the L05757-800 power supply have that. Am I wrong or is it just not possible to use graphics cards that requires additional power supply on this machine? 

Do you by any chance know what the 7 pin power stick is powering? I read a suggestion that it's the green light at the front of the PC, but I don't know if that's true

Br

Lasse  

HP Recommended

Hello I also have a similar question to this but might I make a suggestion to upgrade to the gtx 1650 as it now is using gddr6 memory which is said to be 5-10 percent faster than the gddr5 versions of the card but I am looking for something faster like an rtx card as I have put in my cpu from my broken computer (i7 9700kf) and I have heavy bottleneck so an upgrade will be worthwhile. My pc product number is a pavilion 690-0011na. Would any of the power supplys you have mentioned here fit into my case and also in the UK thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Do you know who can tell me what the 7 pins connection from the power supply is powering? 

Br

Lasse

HP Recommended

@Lasse8751,

The L05757-800 does have the PCIE 6+2 power plug. It is marked on the grid in green.

The inline 7 pin is a 12v connector for the fan.   It has 3 wires.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.