Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-107 ns
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi!
Im changing my GTX 950 to a GTX 1060 Dual, so I looked up ay my system specs and I read that I have a 300w PSU. The problem is that I need a 400w PSU to run my system correctfully without harming my computer and my graphics card. I supposed that i need to change my PSU so I looked up some PSU'S and then, I found one that fits in my case, and with all cables that I need.
I looked up this one: https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/665

So I need help if the PSU is compatible with my parts.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thanks for the support, i changed the graphics card and the PSU and all perfectly work together.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Greetings MrJavs,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

The PSU is good if you stay close to the HP PSU dimensions. But think about going with a 500 watt to 600 watt PSU for some additional headroom in case you decide to install a more powerful graphics card in the future.

Your PC has an Ultra Slim DVD drive. You may need to get an adapter to connect power from the new PSU to the DVD drive.

Amazon and other online vendors carry this adapter.

Regards

HP Recommended
But i have a question, i can still using my 300w PSU?
Or It can survive a few years?
HP Recommended

Hi

Are you asking if you could use the 300 watt power supply with a 1060?

I would not do this. You may see erratic OS behavior such as freezing and possible blue screens.

You will also reduce the normal life of the 300 watt power supply by pushing it to it's operating limits and thermal limits.

Regards

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi

HP modifies (lowers) the TDP on the factory installed graphics cards.

This reduces power consumption/ heat dissipation so the card will work with the factory installed PSU.

You can use the 300 watt PSU if you get an HP 1060.

Regards

HP Recommended
HP Changes the power consumption by software or hardware? If its by software i can install MSI Afterburner and low the power of the Graphics Card.
HP Recommended

Just wanted to point out a few things relevant to this topic, according to the HP specs page, the best buy unit within your link (even though not listed within bestbuys link) the unit utilizes a 500watt power supply with the GTX video card.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-870-200/13687063/model/15741160/document/c05389962

So if your system has not been built similar to the HP specs page or the bestbuys specs page, one would have to see if their system can handle these types of upgraded components. Leaving a 300watt power supply in the system with an upgraded video card can only spell trouble.

One must remember that there could be three major components that need to be upgraded durring this process.

1 video card (required wattage to proform correctly)

2 power supply (must be rated to handle all new components)

3 processor (must be able to support or back up the new video card nd run at it's optimum performance level)

HP Recommended
AmpLighter heres another one but with a 300w PSU

https://support.hp.com/co-es/product/omen-by-hp-870-100-desktop-pc-series/12079703/document/c0535265...

The i5 6400 and the GTX 1060 doesn't do bottleneck, i think that is a good combination.
HP Recommended

Hi MrJavs,

Run the retail MSI or Asus, or EVGA, or whatever brand you are buying1060 with the 300 watt PSU.

Nvidia recommends a minimum 400 watt PSU.

The HP modified 1060 is a hardware modification.

You push the card, you push the PSU.

Your call.

Just keep this in mind as you disregard vendor PSU recommendations and forum advice, sometimes a failing PSU can take out all connected components.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.