Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

You do realize that North American computer components are not the same as other components world wide as these have differant means of measurmening WATTAGE and voltage depending on what county one lives in. In other words coding is differant would wide so what's 500watts here could be 300watts there.

If you're not from North America and need technical support in your language, you need to locate the HP support team in your part of the world or contact HP direct.

HP Recommended

Hi,

We did not touch base on the following but retail 1060 cards require a six or eight pin PCIe connection to the PSU.

There is a very good chance the 300 watt PSU may not have this connector.

Regards

HP Recommended
AmpLighter the pc is sold in Spain (My country) According to Grzwacz, the pc should be fine powered.

So then I would buy the 400w PSU, and my pc parts will be fine powered.

Do you guys recommend me the be quiet! PSU or another? (If its choosing another can you recommend me some options)
HP Recommended
Oh! I looked Up the PSU and, It hasn't got the 6-pin pci-e.
HP Recommended

Pardon  me for overlooking this, but true the video card which requires the 500watt power support would have the extra power cable/connection. Thus the 300watt video card is designed differantly and may not require the extra power conncetion cord.

In order to justify this, locate all those manufatures whom build boards under the GeForce label. I can promise you that each one build the GeForce card differently with differant WATTAGE or requirements. This all goes back to which county one is located and what conditions one used these computers with a variety of power sources.

HP Recommended
So you need extra power with the Pci-e cable?
My GTX 950 doesn't need It but the GTX 1060 yes, why?
HP Recommended

You're trying to confuse the issue because you're located in a differant part of the world which uses differant components that we do in the states. If You've open your system up, tell me if your 950 has an extra power cord, if it does them either You've listed you system incorrectly on the forum, or the system is totally differant than what North Americans are use to.

According to the benchmarks, the GTX 950 vs GTX 1060 is not much diff3rance, so what do you hope to gain my making this transition.

But typically, each video card utilizes a set of processors in conjunction with multiple fans used for cooling. When one plugs the card into the PCI slot it would get a small mount of power in order to operate. The extra power cord would be used to power the fans located on the card. Also in the beginning, cards didn't have fans because many of the processors never needed them. But over time with the development of faster processors, they needed the fans or altertive cooling sources to keep the card in check.

The only reason I can't answer you about why one card might have a extra cord where as the other doesn't is because in your country, card developers may not need the extra cord in order for the card to operate in your system. 

HP Recommended
Yep, i oppened my pc and i saw that my 950 doesn't have a PCI-E 6 pin. About the step of changing of graphics card, i think that 1060 is the best chance of price/quality of the market, ive seen a lot if people changing 950 to 1060.
And theres a lot of difference of 950 to 1060.
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Ok, need to put this out there. 500watts in the US/N America is still 500watts anywhere else in the world. Other countries use different power grids (220-240V vs 110V in US) but power measurement is still the same. Big thing to look for is whether the PSU will run off 220V, or whatever your grid is, and if it has the correct power plug for your country.

The power supply either will have the connection you need, or it wont. You cant just add one, and it doesnt come with the graphics card. You should have, at absolute minimum, a 400W power supply for the GTX 1060. The extra 6 pin plug is not for fans, its to power the actual card. PCIe 3.0 can only supply 75W through the slot. The GTX 1060 requires 120W, therefore the additional required 45W needs to come from the 6 pin plug. Your GTX 950 only needs 75W, thats why it doesnt have an additional plug.

If you are uprading your card, I would absolutely upgrade your power supply. If you run your power supply near capacity, you will shorten its life and possibly cause issues with the rest of your system.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.