Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 690xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought new ram for my pc, put it in and everything, runs in dual channel at 106x mhz per stick. That should be normal, but the kit is rated for 3200 mhz. so 1600 mhz per stick. I would like help on how to change this as i have a ryzen cpu, so higher the clock speed of the ram the better.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well HP has done it again with mismatched info. The specs say 2400, the parts listed says 2666.

Its not going to run any ram faster than the rated 2666 listed though. The system is capped at that. No way to change this.

You might as well match the timings of the original stick and simply add another stick of the same. You can use CPUz to find those timings also.

That Vengeance ram will only run at the SPD speed (2133) at this point.  If you can send it back, I would try. Then get another stick to match the original.

Is that what you needed to know? Let me know.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Check

Task Manager/Performance/Memory and see what the speed is.

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

It's running at 2133 in dual channel. It should be at 3200 in dual channel. Even if the motherboard has a cap less then 3200, it would still help to at least get it to 3000 or so.

HP Recommended

If you are not already using CPU-Z to test you speed please try it.

What is the model number of you pc?

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Cpu-Z reports 1063.5 mhz. Also 

690-0020, hope that's it?

HP Recommended

@HuskoTheGamer 

Its been a while since GamingOptional answered so he might be tied up with work or something.

I think you might be confused about a few things.

1.  We need to know what the new ram is exactly (Model number). HWinfo will tell you, or you can read it off the label on the ram stick itself.
    HWinfo mem model.JPG
  2.  None of HP's consumer systems run higher speed ram with the exception of a few of "this years 2020" latest gaming models. For example, the last few years models (including yours) only run 2400 or 2666 MT/s. This cannot be changed in the bios as it is locked down per HP's rules.
  3.  Installing two sticks for a dual channel platform will not make them increase overall MHz. It doubles the maximum theoretical bandwidth potential. So again, it would really helpful to tell the rams model # so we understand what you meant.
  4. Cpu-Z reports 1063.5 mhz. Yep, basically the bios thinks there is something not right about that new ram you installed. So as a safety feature, it down clocked the ram to its SPD rating of 2133 when windows fully booted. This is typical for an HP if one installs ram rated faster than its compatible with.

Here are your specs... https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05970262

You will see your system is rated to only run memory at DRR4-2400.

HP Recommended

The ram model number is "CMK16GX4M2B3200c16" Also the ram that was previously in the system ran at 2666 mhz. And i understand dual channel. I just want it to be at the capped speed of the motherboard if possible. 

HP Recommended

Well HP has done it again with mismatched info. The specs say 2400, the parts listed says 2666.

Its not going to run any ram faster than the rated 2666 listed though. The system is capped at that. No way to change this.

You might as well match the timings of the original stick and simply add another stick of the same. You can use CPUz to find those timings also.

That Vengeance ram will only run at the SPD speed (2133) at this point.  If you can send it back, I would try. Then get another stick to match the original.

Is that what you needed to know? Let me know.

HP Recommended

Thanks for providing me with that info, and i'm just going to keep it in as it's going to be a hassle to replace the old stick. As I had already sold it. Anyways thanks for going though and replying to me in this conversation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.