Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 880-182ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi there guys, new to the forum here.
Just got me an Omen 880-182ng system with Ryzen 2700X and Windows 10 64Bit installed on a 256 GB M.2 drive, as the HP Support informed me.
I already have an Samsung NVMe 500GB M.2 drive which I really would like to use with this new rig. So my questions here are:
1. Is the NVMe M.2 drive compatible with the Higos 2 motherboard?
2. Is it possible to clone the OS onto the HDD and then back on to the new M.2, or even to a new SSD and then back to M.2?
3. Is the M.2 installed a normal M.2 drive or is it also NVMe?

Many many thanks in advance.....
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@itifonhom, welcome to the forum.

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  Look at the section titled "Hard drives".  It shows the SSD that came with the computer as a 256 GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2.

@itifonhom wrote:
Just got me an Omen 880-182ng system with Ryzen 2700X and Windows 10 64Bit installed on a 256 GB M.2 drive, as the HP Support informed me.
I already have an Samsung NVMe 500GB M.2 drive which I really would like to use with this new rig. So my questions here are:

1. Is the NVMe M.2 drive compatible with the Higos 2 motherboard?  Yes!

2. Is it possible to clone the OS onto the HDD and then back on to the new M.2, or even to a new SSD and then back to M.2?  I have never done what you are describing.  However, I have cloned several HDD's to SSD's and vice versa.  You can install Samsung's Data Migration software on the current SSD and run it.  When asked to choose the Target drive it would be the 1 TB HDD.  Once the SSD has been cloned to the HDD, you can remove the current SSD (being careful not to damage it) and install the new SSD.  I would connect the HDD to SATA port #1 on the motherboard to assure it will boot from the HDD.  Then, you can run Samsung's Data Migration software again from the HDD and this time, the Target drive would be the new SSD.  Once the new SSD has the OS on it, disconnect the HDD and boot.  If all has worked properly it should boot.  Take your time; don't hurry.

3. Is the M.2 installed a normal M.2 drive or is it also NVMe?  See my answer above.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@itifonhom, welcome to the forum.

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  Look at the section titled "Hard drives".  It shows the SSD that came with the computer as a 256 GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2.

@itifonhom wrote:

1. Is the NVMe M.2 drive compatible with the Higos 2 motherboard?  Yes!

2. Is it possible to clone the OS onto the HDD and then back on to the new M.2, or even to a new SSD and then back to M.2?  I have never done what you are describing.  However, I have cloned several HDD's to SSD's and vice versa.  You can install Samsung's Data Migration software on the current SSD and run it.  When asked to choose the Target drive it would be the 1 TB HDD.  Once the SSD has been cloned to the HDD, you can remove the current SSD (being careful not to damage it) and install the new SSD.  I would connect the HDD to SATA port #1 on the motherboard to assure it will boot from the HDD.  Then, you can run Samsung's Data Migration software again from the HDD and this time, the Target drive would be the new SSD.  Once the new SSD has the OS on it, disconnect the HDD and boot.  If all has worked properly it should boot.  Take your time; don't hurry.

3. Is the M.2 installed a normal M.2 drive or is it also NVMe?  See my answer above.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.