Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE h8-1250a Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Im looking to upgrade my graphic card but can't find anything compatible. Also took system to computer shop and they tried a few cards but nothing will run in the system (wont even boot up with a different card)

Anybody know of any graphic cards that will run in my system?

Just bought a new monitor that runs a display port looking for a card with a display port

Link to my system below if any help

https://support.hp.com/au-en/product/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1200-desktop-pc-series/5187019/model/5192135...

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings Sim96,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

You have a couple of roadblocks to deal with.

The h8-1250a was released for sale by HP in 2011. This means you have Legacy 7.xx version BIOS. The newer graphics cards require a UEFI BIOS.

The PSU included with your PC is 300 watts. I don't know what graphics card you tried to install but some graphics cards require more than 300 watts.

Your PC shipped with a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. New graphics cards are designed to run on  Gen. 3.0 but are backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0.

You are limited to using the Nvidia 600 series graphics cards or older Legacy AMD graphics cards.

You may have to upgrade the PSU depending on the graphics card power consumption.

Regards

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings Sim96,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

You have a couple of roadblocks to deal with.

The h8-1250a was released for sale by HP in 2011. This means you have Legacy 7.xx version BIOS. The newer graphics cards require a UEFI BIOS.

The PSU included with your PC is 300 watts. I don't know what graphics card you tried to install but some graphics cards require more than 300 watts.

Your PC shipped with a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. New graphics cards are designed to run on  Gen. 3.0 but are backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0.

You are limited to using the Nvidia 600 series graphics cards or older Legacy AMD graphics cards.

You may have to upgrade the PSU depending on the graphics card power consumption.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.