Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 880-p1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When running games every couple of minutes my computer makes a loud fan like sound for a couple seconds then returns to normal. This issue started on the 8th of Jan after I bought PanzerCorps2 however I also added a new 2 TB SSD on the 23rd of December.

My computer has liquid cooling so it may be the graphics card however I have had the task manager open & I am using no more than 80% & the temperature is low. I have cleaned the computer & removed the dust, checked for updated and restarted.

I ran a game and took a screenshot the moment the loud sound started:

Screenshot_125.jpg

I am worried this is damaging the computer & the sound is very annoying, can anyone help?

I will keep checking this & I will provide any information that helps, I have mentioned all of the changes I have made recently but I cannot find a fix.

Graphics Card: NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti.

Processor: Intel Core I7-9700k CPU @ 3.60GHz, 8 Cores.

RAM: 32 GB

Storage: 1x 512 GB SSD (C:), 1x 2 TB HDD, 1x 2TB SSD.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok so your gpu is very close to overheating. It is definitely thermal throttling. The stock fan curve is no good at all. 91 is usually the temp limit and your getting close. 

I highly recommend downloading msi after burner and setting up a custom fan curve.   

Degrees: 30 60 70 75 80 90

Fan %    : 16 30 50 65 80 100

Feel free to tune it how you want for speed and noise levels. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Ok so your gpu is very close to overheating. It is definitely thermal throttling. The stock fan curve is no good at all. 91 is usually the temp limit and your getting close. 

I highly recommend downloading msi after burner and setting up a custom fan curve.   

Degrees: 30 60 70 75 80 90

Fan %    : 16 30 50 65 80 100

Feel free to tune it how you want for speed and noise levels. 

HP Recommended

I downloaded MSI Afterburner and set up the Fan settings with 8 points and ran the same game but this time made it run harder with graphics:

Screenshot_127.jpg

I used 20% more of my GPU and my Temp did not go over 66 degrees, it was also reasonably quiet for the hard work.

When I first loaded it there was a jump from 65 degrees all the way to 90 which is exactly why it suddenly got loud.

Thank you very much, this solved my issue exactly. 🙂

HP Recommended

Good im glad it helped. Its hard to get a clear answer on here so I quickly made an account to help your situation. You should be able to get way more out of your gpu now. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.