Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
3LB47AA HP Pavilion 690-0034 Gaming Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi folks,

I just bought a 3LB47AA HP Pavilion 690-0034 Gaming Desktop PC and am trying to hook up 3 monitors to it.

The HP website links here -https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06124757

it shows a rear i/o with a hdmi and vgi port that is not actually on this computer.

And it does not show the lower strip with an hdmi slot and 3 of the new "Display Ports"

There are also 4 usb 3 ( C) ports available

However - looking at this info from the website under video graphics:

AMD Radeon RX 580

• Form Factor: Full-height PCB with ATX dual slot bracket
  • Dimensions: 4.4 in x 7.0 in
  • Rear I/O connectors: HDMI + 3 DisplayPort
  • Maximum resolution:
    • DisplayPort resolution: 5120 x 2880 @ 60Hz
    • HDMI resolution: 4096 x 2160 @ 60Hz ( HDMI 2.0)
      note:
      Not all ports support the highest resolutions.
  • Memory size: 4 GB (256-bit)
  • Memory type: GDDR5
  • Total power consumption: 150 W max
  • Blu-ray support
  • Multi display support: 4 displays, up to 6.

It does mention the lower hdmi and 3 display port connectinos and that it should actually support 4 monitors.

Question

My monitors either have vgi or hdmi connections.  So I can use the one hdmi connection and then for the other 2  get 2 "display port" to hdmi converters (I don't know if they have to be passive or active)

This approach would put all three on the same card based on the layout of the metal strip on the back,  Does anyone have any experience with this particular model computer?  Is an adapter like this one ok: https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-DisplayPort-Supports-displays-3840x2160/dp/B01GW8DZV4

or do I need something more sophisticated.  Any suggestions would be great!  Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @RobRCR 

That adapter will work, yes.

And yes, you have to use only the HDMI/Displayports that are on that metal strip on the back.

That metal strip is actually the ports on the 580 graphics card itself and only those ports are active. The other HDMI port/s (or any other video out ports) above on the IO shield are not active and cannot be used. They are automatically disabled when a video card is installed.

Let me know if you have other questions.

HP Recommended

Thanks Photoray002!

That's what I was hoping for -  and do have any idea why the HP spec sheet says:"Multi display support: 4 displays, up to 6."

when there are only 4 inputs on the card? Would on use the usb c port with hdmi adapter or do they intend something else?   I don't plan on more than 3 but am curious how one would  get to the 6 as mentioned on hp webpage?

RobRCR

HP Recommended

Good question and I have not tried this, but technically the 580 is supposed to be able to support up to 6 total monitors with Eyefinity technology. The only way you could achieve this with that card would be to use an MST Hub via one of the displayports...  https://www.startech.com/faq/mst-hubs-what-is-an-mst-hub

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.