Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
GT13-0380T
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Considering changing the motherboard and case on my brand new computer. Haven't had overheat issues yet but feel like the HP motherboard is the weak point in my system. The lack of true XMP profiles really bugs me. Also lack of any meaningful fan control.

Looking at the MSI - MPG z490 Gaming Edge Wifi board and a case to fit it in.

Any thoughts, pros, cons welcome.

Thanks!

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

@KC422 , welcome to the Community.

While I am a MSI guy, (see my Custom build in my Signature) I suggest that you give the computer a chance.  It has all of the latest, greatest, components and should run any new games at Ultra settings.  The liquid cooling should keep the CPU from overheating.  I believe it is Cooler Master.

I have Corsair memory in my computer.  Unfortunately, it is SK Hynix.  I haven't been able to overclock it beyond 3200 MHz without using too much voltage.  So, the lack of more XMP's may not be that big of deal.

You asked for Pros and Cons.  There are my Pros.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I don't think that you will have problems with the I7 when it comes to the temperatures, at least not to the extend that we have with the I9. I already migrated all of my internals to a better case with 240mm AIO and things are perfect, even with the stock motherboard, which I am keeping at the moment, as I am not eager to spent another $200 for a motherboard.

But to answer your question, I was also looking at that specific MSI board, but the M version, micro ATX one, I really don't need extra PCIe slots and the M version has the exact same VRM as the ATX one. 

The memory is another major issue that HP are just never going to fix, not only that, but they are now blocking Intel XTU from controlling the XMP profiles, and in addition all the memory control disappeared from the HP Game Hub latest version, so you are getting JEDEC 3200mhz with super slow timings. So instead of helping us and adding a simple XMP on/off slider in the bios, they are further blocking everything possible, now that doesn't make any sense to me...

HP Recommended

Interesting, didn't realize they had a micro version. I don't really want to change the case as I don't dislike it and so far not having heat issues.

So how plug and play do you think a MSI motherboard swap would be? Would the fans, CPU cooler, front panel ect just plug right in you think?

HP Recommended

It actually going to be far more challenging than the other way around, HP are using a special control board for the RGB, also the front fan is using a proprietary RGB connector as well. So if you are willing to sacrifice all the RGB, you should be fine with the rest, the AIO will fit, the Pump and Fan headers are going to match the Pump and fans of the AIO and the exhaust 92mm fan. You can also reuse the PSU, GPU and storage obviously. 

I also like the Omen 30L case a lot, luckily for me I have another i5 10600k version of it, where the temps are rarely going over 70C, so I can enjoy that, but the I9 was impossible to keep cool even with simple tasks. 

HP Recommended

So I've been doing some research looking into swapping MoBo and case. Still struggling on whether or not I want to do it or am up for the task, lol. I think I am capable of doing it but I am a bit of a newb.

Couple questions for you - watched the swap video you did.

Biggest struggle I'm having is deciding on a case. You have any suggestions for sub $100 FULL ATX case if I were to use the MSI z490 full ATX board?

That 3080 GPU is indeed 285mm long? You measured yours?

If swapping case and MoBo you think I could re-use the AIO?

Any problems you think I might run into?

I probably wouldn't reuse the fans, except maybe the rear.

HP Recommended

I have added a lot of different price levels options for cases in the video description, but you should definitely consider getting at least 240mm AIO, anything below is make things uneasy with those I9s.

And yes the card is 285mm, I showed that in one of my last videos. 

If you end up buying a new case, most of them come with fans already, so you should be good to go without having to reuse any of the stock fans. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

The temps are good. Lack of XMP and fan controls is included with OEM PCs.

Enjoy your new OEM PC, or return the PC and build a PC (or have a boutique PC builder build a custom PC) if you are unhappy.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz wrote:

Hi,

The temps are good. Lack of XMP and fan controls is included with OEM PCs.

Enjoy your new OEM PC, or return the PC and build a PC (or have a boutique PC builder build a custom PC) if you are unhappy.

Regards

Honestly this is probably the best advice. Only problem is the RTX 3080 being difficult to get. It's not really that expensive to replace the MoBo and case though and I think I would actually enjoy doing it. I'm not really sure yet if I'm messing with it.

HP Recommended

Exactly, if RTX3080 was available everywhere, probably no one would have bought the Omen 30L version with it, but for the next 3-4 months, things will not change so, I don't think anyone would be returning it to HP. For me changing the case and AIO did the trick, so I am pretty happy with it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.