Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So the exact build is, https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by-hp-obelisk-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-...

I have slightly changed it by putting it in a more breathing case and added 2 corsair fans via a splitter. My issue is that the motherboard of the computer is not descriptly said anywhere. I did track it down once and it's some very under documented motherboard. The issue is that I cannot add a new heatsink what-so-ever because the bracket is screwed into the motherboard. I've searched everywhere to no result, but does anyone know a compatible heatsink? I would buy a new motherboard, but currently do not have the money.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Community  @Daxter987 

Are you talking about the bracket that the heatsink is screwed into on the other side of the motherboard.

Three screw holes shaped like a triangle???

REO

HP Recommended

The CPU heatsink bracket on the motherboard fits for Intel LGA1151 thermal solutions.  

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Your PC ships with a Intel 8700 processor and a Nvidia RTX 2080. HP usually ships this configuration with a CPU air cooled heatsink/fan.

You added two Corsair fans. I guessing you have some type of thermal problem.

What component is running hot? Have you run any stress tests to isolate if the GPU or the CPU is running hot?

Prior assistance to other forum members with similar hardware suggests the GPU thermals are in the upper 80 degree Celsius area. But the CPU could be running hot.

Your focus seems to suggest the CPU is running hot.

Is this correct?

Buying a new motherboard may solve a hot CPU but may also create other problems.

You may be able to install a AIO CPU liquid cooling system if the CPU is running hot. The existing HP motherboard backplate should be removable so you can install a AIO liquid cooling system. 

HP sometimes uses Asetek (Link) AIO CPU liquid cooling components. No guarantees you can find a compatible AIO system for your HP motherboard.

A hot RTX 2080 will be harder to solve. Moving hot air out of the chassis is the solution to a hot 2080. You have installed two Corsair fans. I don't know what else you can do if the 2080 is running hot.

Regards

HP Recommended

In my opinion if you dont have good tech skills and dont have the money to fix it if you break something i would just leave it alone. Are CPU temps bad ? 

If you are really interested in removing the stock heatsink then you should follow proper steps. This will require you to remove the motherboard unless the other side of the case opens and there is another opening that exposes the back of the mother board which will allow you to work. I think if you are looking for a better cooling solution a singl fan h100i should work or something comparable. Have you tried youtube to see if anyone has disesembbled this PC before you. I could be a good guide. If Cpu temps are under 75c i would leave it alone just ,y thoughts 

HP OMEN 7700 I7 1070 gtx
MSI GT73VRE TITAN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.