Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was wondering if my motherboard the Odense2-k, which came with my Hp Omen desktop gaming pc, with an i5 7400 and a gtx 1060 3gb could be upgradable to a ryzen cpu, more specifically the ryzen 7 2700. no X. Or atleast the ryzen 5 2600. Also the graphics card I was looking to bump up to an rtx 2060 with a 650 watt power supply.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So upgrading (not downgrading) to an RX 590 just for Fortnite would not be worth the money spent in my opinion.

Since you are doing both from one rig, I would suggest you try the CPU upgrade first. If you feel you need more GPU after that, then I would look into a graphics upgrade.

But you have to look at the cost of getting these upgrades. How much percentage of gain will you get in comparison to buying a whole new CPU and GPU? To me its not worth the cost per value of gain. Thats why I suggest you wait and save a little more money and spend it on a new system that will do what you want.

Its your choice, only you can decide.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello @StreakFN 

NO, your motherboard supports Intel, not AMD. You cannot interchange those brands of CPU.

Yes you can upgrade the graphics card if you have a power supply that will support it.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-870-200/13687063/model/15741160/document/c05389962

Let me know if you have other questions.

HP Recommended

I was looking for a cpu that could handle streaming, that is in the budget of 250$. Maybe also thinking of downgrading my gpu and going with a higher end cpu for streaming. Like a Sapphire Nitro + RX 590, and an intel i5 9600k or i7 7700. Tell me what u think my best solution for streaming would be. A budget of a little over 500-560$ for a cpu gpu, and if needed psu.

HP Recommended

Um, you already own the HP Omen 870-224, correct?

It wouldn't make sense to downgrade your GPU now, would it?

But you could upgrade the CPU to an i7 7700 if you desired. You could not upgrade that board to a 9700.

Your specs I linked to above gives you that information.

On a side note:   If you are already streaming on Twitch (for example) and want to get more serious with it, you might want to consider saving up some more money and getting a 2nd PC. Use one for the gaming rig and the other to stream it with.

HP Recommended

I ment downgrade the rtx 2060 to an nitro + rx 590, and go with a i5 9400f if compatible. Yes I do already own the Computer. I dont have much knowledge on computers, just the basics. I appreciate you responding to me. Or could I just do a rtx 2060 with a intel i7 7700, or an rx 590 with an i7 7700.

HP Recommended

Downgrading the graphics card would not make sense as there would be no advantage in doing so. You would be spending more money only to regress, not progress.

Your PC is a few years old now and the motherboard can only be upgraded with the series of processor is was designed to use.

If you are requiring more power to stream and game at the same time, that requires cpu power for sure, but games also require good graphics card power.

A lot of streamers who are running high end games to stream with, have better results with running two PCs. The gaming rig typically requires more power than the stream rig does. Then if (for example) your game or game rig crashes during a stream, the stream is not interrupted and drops off because the other rig is running the stream. Its more for the serious streamer, so its just a thought.

HP Recommended

Upgrading from a 1060 to a 2060 would  only be an advantage if your games are requiring that much GPU processing. Im guessing that might not be the case depending on what game your are streaming.

But you would find an advantage running an i7 over the i5 for sure if streaming and gaming on the same rig.

HP Recommended

I didn't really want to get two pc's until later. I just wanted to know what would be best for me now to upgrade my pc to be able to stream in the 500$ range. Like an Nitro + Rx 590 which is more powerful than a gtx 1060 6gb. And an i7 7700. Or a rtx 2060, and a good cpu.

HP Recommended

So would you say upgrading my graphics card to an rx 590, and upgrading my cpu to a i7 7700 would be the best bet for streaming and gaming on the same pc? I mostly play fortnite, on all low settings and have a 144hz moniter. Or just keeping my cpu, and maybe just upgrading my gpu, and getting 16gb ram, and an ssd.

HP Recommended

So upgrading (not downgrading) to an RX 590 just for Fortnite would not be worth the money spent in my opinion.

Since you are doing both from one rig, I would suggest you try the CPU upgrade first. If you feel you need more GPU after that, then I would look into a graphics upgrade.

But you have to look at the cost of getting these upgrades. How much percentage of gain will you get in comparison to buying a whole new CPU and GPU? To me its not worth the cost per value of gain. Thats why I suggest you wait and save a little more money and spend it on a new system that will do what you want.

Its your choice, only you can decide.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.