Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 870-224 Desktop i5-7400 8GB DDR4 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Win 10 Home
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So over a year ago I bought the Omen hoping it would fit all my needs and to an extent it does a fine job. But I was thinking of upgrading it instead of Building a new one so I was wondering if my motherboard can support 3rd gen intel cpu such as an i7 or i9 and if it would be easy to replace.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP recommends the following CPU upgrades for your motherboard (Link)

i7-7700

Changing an Intel CPU is not difficult if you have experience doing this. But, doing this for the first time can be challenging.

You can damage the delicate pins on the CPU socket or create other problems if the CPU installation is mishandled.

Improper application of CPU thermal paste can cause high CPU temps and an unstable system.

Regards

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP recommends the following CPU upgrades for your motherboard (Link)

i7-7700

Changing an Intel CPU is not difficult if you have experience doing this. But, doing this for the first time can be challenging.

You can damage the delicate pins on the CPU socket or create other problems if the CPU installation is mishandled.

Improper application of CPU thermal paste can cause high CPU temps and an unstable system.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.