Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk 875-1040sst
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a brand new HP Omen Obelisk 875-1040st with the below specs:

Intel i9/9900k

RTX 2080 Ti

256GB 2280 PCIe NVMe Toshiba SSD

1TB 2280 PCIe NVMe Sabrent Rocket SSD

I replaced the 8GB HyperX DDR4 2666 UDIMM RAM with a faster 16GB Kit of G Skill Flare X Series 2x8GB 3200 CL14 RAM.

I have the two sticks in Bay 0 and Bay 2 (there are 4 slots on this MOBO as it is the 2019 Obelisk)

Both sticks are only showing a speed of 2400mHz.  I am relatively new to PCs and trying to troubleshoot why this may be the case.  Link to the RAM Kit I am using below.  Any help would be much appreciated.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232530?Item=N82E16820232530

Thanks,

ALC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Would overclocking software such as Intel XTU allow the RAM clock speed to be increased? Or is it simply a hardware limitation with the MOBO?

No, its a limitation of the bios.

Is upgrading the MOBO in the future an option? Any issues reattaching the HP Liquid Cooling system and the i9 chip to another MOBO in the case it is an option?

The Obelisk is fully up-gradable, that is its main selling point.  There shouldn't be an issue attaching the liquid cooler to another Intel mobo. You will have to purchase another copy of Windows also.  

TIP: If you do plan on upgrading the mobo, you might consider also purchasing another case that's a little bigger and has more fan options and air flow. Not necessary, Just food for thought if you plan on overclocking.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@AlaskaLostCauze 

This is a repeat question of another post you made.

But as another Expert pointed out in that other thread, HP computers don't offer overclocking.

XMP is disabled also. You cannot run your ram any higher than the default speed the system allows, so purchasing higher clocked ram sticks wont do you any good. They will still only run at the systems default ram speed.

If you wish to do any other upgrades, don't hesitate to ask us here in the forum first. It might save you some money and headaches.

HP Recommended

@Photoray002

You're right, I posted twice as I wasn't sure of the location.

I'll be sure to ask any future questions before I upgrade hardware.  I was unaware of the limitation on the MOBO/BIOS and XMP.  It seems 2400mHz is the best I can do.  I'll return the RAM and going with something more affordable and maybe RGB... 🙃

Would overclocking software such as Intel XTU allow the RAM clock speed to be increased?  Or is it simply a hardware limitation with the MOBO? 

Is upgrading the MOBO in the future an option?  Any issues reattaching the HP Liquid Cooling system and the i9 chip to another MOBO in the case it is an option?  

Thanks for bearing with my noobie questions.

ALC

HP Recommended

Would overclocking software such as Intel XTU allow the RAM clock speed to be increased? Or is it simply a hardware limitation with the MOBO?

No, its a limitation of the bios.

Is upgrading the MOBO in the future an option? Any issues reattaching the HP Liquid Cooling system and the i9 chip to another MOBO in the case it is an option?

The Obelisk is fully up-gradable, that is its main selling point.  There shouldn't be an issue attaching the liquid cooler to another Intel mobo. You will have to purchase another copy of Windows also.  

TIP: If you do plan on upgrading the mobo, you might consider also purchasing another case that's a little bigger and has more fan options and air flow. Not necessary, Just food for thought if you plan on overclocking.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.