AShmuck
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

GPU Upgrade for 870-220na

870-220na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I’d like to upgrade my current gpu (1060 3gb) to the rx 5700 xt but am not sure how to go about this. Link.

The site has some system requirements:

Minimum 600 Watt Power Supply (Recommended).

1 x 8-pin Power Connector.

1 x 6-pin Power Connector.

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

Minimum 8GB of system memory. 16GB recommended.

I want to know whether it is possible to upgrade, whether this card is worth upgrading to, and how i would go about upgrading.

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
21,890 21,517 2,483 8,253
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

GPU Upgrade for 870-220na

@AShmuck , welcome to the forum.

Q: whether it is possible to upgrade

A: Yes, the upgrade is possible with some considerations.  The card is 272 mm (10.71 inches) in length.  You should measure from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case where the card will be installed to assure there is space for it.  There should be space for good airflow.  These newer cards produce a lot of HEAT.  It would require a power supply unit (PSU) upgrade, also.  As you stated, it requires a minimum of 600W w/6-pin/8-pin power connectors.  I always recommend a PSU with at least 100W to 150W more wattage than the card requires.  This will give you some headroom for peak power needs.  I like Corsair products.

Q: whether this card is worth upgrading to

A: If you look at the card on Newegg.com, it only has a 3 Egg rating with 27 reviews.  I normally like to see a rating of at least 4 Eggs with at least 20 reviews.  Read the reviews to see what users have to say about it.  Newegg always has good information on its products.  You may want to consider a MSI card.  As you will see in my "Signature" at the bottom of my post, I just built a Custom computer.  I did a lot of research.

Q: how i would go about upgrading

A: There are numerous Youtube videos that will help you with the upgrade when you are ready.

I will be glad to answer any other questions that you may have.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!