Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN HP 880-130NG
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello guys 🙂 I bought an OMEN HP 880-130 NG two years ago and now i want to upgrade my GPU to a RTX 2060 and i have a few questions.

Firstly I know that OEM builders somtimes require u to buy specific parts to upgrade their PC's, so i wanted to ask if i can buy any RTX 2060 or if it has to be a proprietary one by HP or somthing like that.

Secondly I know that the existing 300w PSU has to be upgraded in order to power a RTX 2060, so guidance concerning what PSU to buy would be very welcome.

English is not my mothertoung so please excuse any mistakes.

Thx in andvance for any advice 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Chauchemares,

Your English is better than some who are "born" here. No kidding.  You need a new PSU in the 550W-600W range.   (prices vary, a 600W might be less than a 550W). I would like to recommend a Corsair PSU.

NVidia specification for an RTX 2060 is 160W, single 8 pin power plug, and 9.0" long.

Every manufacturer has their own build, so the specifications might will vary.  Cards of 10.5' are known to fit.  But you might have more length available.  Once you have chosen the new card, the procedure is straight forward.

1) Disconnect the power cord from the computer. Remove side panel.

2) Make sure you connect the required power plugs to the new card, and the video cable.

3)  Replace side panel. Re-connect the power cord from the computer. 

4)  Re-boot unit, and install RTX 2060 software.  Screen will look lousy until you install software.

Power supply remove/replace video

Remove/replace video card        I think you can get the point.

This is HP version of the graphic card remove/replace 

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Chauchemares,

Your English is better than some who are "born" here. No kidding.  You need a new PSU in the 550W-600W range.   (prices vary, a 600W might be less than a 550W). I would like to recommend a Corsair PSU.

NVidia specification for an RTX 2060 is 160W, single 8 pin power plug, and 9.0" long.

Every manufacturer has their own build, so the specifications might will vary.  Cards of 10.5' are known to fit.  But you might have more length available.  Once you have chosen the new card, the procedure is straight forward.

1) Disconnect the power cord from the computer. Remove side panel.

2) Make sure you connect the required power plugs to the new card, and the video cable.

3)  Replace side panel. Re-connect the power cord from the computer. 

4)  Re-boot unit, and install RTX 2060 software.  Screen will look lousy until you install software.

Power supply remove/replace video

Remove/replace video card        I think you can get the point.

This is HP version of the graphic card remove/replace 

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.