Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
omen 880 p1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

games that require an internet connection freeze. for example, on the game escape from tarkov, when loading into a raid it stops loading after about 30 seconds and freezes. on world of warships, after 5 seconds of loading into port the game freezes. in battlefield 5, it freezes on the main loading screen before the game even loads up. all this usually forces me to control+ alt+delete and sign out. id be happy to provide any more info. please and thanks for help.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Greetings Shanes1,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

This is a tough troubleshooting problem. When did this problem start?

Did you ever have stability when playing games online?

You have possible problems with: network (ISP), GPU driver or hardware, system files, other hardware issues, or thermals.

There are a lot of variables which can cause this problem.

Make sure all Windows updates and device driver updates are installed.

Run some local GPU and CPU stress tests to check thermals and stability.

CPU StressTest:

Prime95 (download link). Also download HWInfo portable (Link). Run HWInfo and Prime 95 at the same time. Use HWInfo to check CPU core temps and other variables.

GPU stress test:

Furmark (download link). Configure Furmark to display full screen and show real time GPU temps.

Run a Check Disk (Link).

Good results with the above tests suggests you may have an ISP problem, or your current router is in trouble, or you have NIC-WIFI network problems.

Regards

HP Recommended

so ive updated all my drivers and windows.  how exactly do i test the stability of my gpu and cpu with those applications? by thermals do you mean things may be getting too hot? it seems everything is fine. we had the cable guy here to fix our wifi the other day. could something he have done made my connection through the computer not work right? since doing all this most games will work for about a minute before they freeze.

HP Recommended

Hi Shanes1,

We are trying to eliminate possible causes. Can you run local games successfully? I know, everything is streamed now.

Try running Unigine's Heaven benchmark or Superposition benchmark (Link). Final Fantasy 15 (Link) stresses the CPU and the GPU.

So running stress tests successfully will eliminate component, heat, and driver problems. Running a check disk should fix any system file problems if they exist.

Unzip each program if applicable. Portable software is usually provided in a ZIP format. Furmark needs to be installed to use it.

Open Prime95. Open HWInfo. 

Run Prime 95 tests. Don't join GIMPS.

Scroll down in HWInfo to CPU core temps. Run Prime95 for about 20 minutes while monitoring HWInfo CPU temps and other variables. The system will lock up if you have a CPU thermal problem.

Run Furmark for about 20 minutes. Set Furmark to full screen in native resolution. Also enable temperature monitoring.

The system will lock up if the GPU has thermal problems.

I would say you have network problems if your PC passes the above stress tests.

Maybe the cable guy did something to cause the problem.

You have to troubleshoot the ISP line in (latency-throughput), the cable modem, your router, ethernet cables, your NIC or WIFI adapter.

There are a lot of variables involved in your problem. This issue is not easy to troubleshoot.

Regards

HP Recommended

thank you so much for all your help! i think i figured it out though. it seemed to be from me slightly overclocking my graphics card. does that make sense? just so i know, why would that cause what was happening? its an HP 2080 in case your wondering.

HP Recommended

Hi Shanes1,

You're very welcome.

Overclocking the CPU, GPU, or RAM may cause problems.

I am not a fan of overclocking components. Buy a faster component if you want more performance.

When you overclock a component you are running the component beyond design specs.

Erratic stuff can happen.

Regards

HP Recommended

so like with my 8700k, it operates at 4.7 ghz "stock", without adjusting overclocking. i can turn down the settings from this. is this a "turbo mode" and not technically an overclock? becuase i only just heard of this turbo aspect.

HP Recommended

Hi Shanes1,

Running the 8700k at 4.7 GHz is fine.

Overclocking the 8700k beyond 4.7 GHz may introduce instability.

HP usually does not provide overclocking options in the BIOS. This choice by HP is to reduce warranty costs.

Overclocking requires increasing voltage. Increased voltage on CPUs, or GPUs, and RAM creates more heat.

Excessive heat reduces the lifespan of components and may introduce instability.

Some folks like to overclock. I am not a proponent of overclocking components.

It is up to the individual.

You may be able to overclock the 2080. But you have to play with the settings until you get a balance between improved performance and stability.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.