Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello, I bought my son a gaming PC at Christmas and ever since we have had it we have had loading issues where the PC is just staying on a blank screen with the spooling circle. I sent this back to PC World to be looked at they are saying that because one of the USB ports have snapped that this has damaged the motherboard. When the computer was doing this before this happened. Can anyone shed any light please and possibly provide me some information if this is incorrect so i can prove to PC world that this is not the case. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HI,

A damaged rear USB port would require replacing the motherboard.

A damaged front USB port could be fixed by replacing the affected front USB module. The front USB ports connect to a motherboard (MB) USB header.

You could disconnect the front USB cable for the suspect module attached to the MB USB header to check for a successful POST.

Then you would have to check with HP Support to see if you can replace the front USB module to fix the problem if the PC boots after disconnecting front USB on the MB.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for your reply, but what I am wanting to is would this cause the computer not to start correctly? In my eyes it would have no impact it is the front USB port and the plastic part snapped off. The issue has actually been happening since before this but PC world are trying to blame it on this! 

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

A damaged USB port can cause issues. You are having a bad PC experience. 

You could start troubleshooting by downloading W10 installation media at this site (Link). Follow prompts to download and create USB W10 installation media. Boot to the media. Using the current W10 installation media adds complexity to your problem if Microsoft has a problem with HP installed hardware in this PC and Microsoft does not have compatible drivers.

Select "I don't have a product number" as you proceed through the W10 installation process. Delete all partitions. Try installing W10 clean to see if this helps.

I am suggesting you do a clean W10 install if the PC never worked correctly since purchase. Look, I don't know when the problem started. It sounds like you may have a hardware problem. If a clean install works then you are good to go. If the install fails then it could be a hardware problem.

Did this PC ever work as expected?

What is the product number? This (Link) can help you to provide a product number. HP may provide a Cloud recovery option or an option to purchase recovery media if you don't want to do a clean W10 installation.

Finally, contact HP Support for Factory service (Link) to get this problem fixed.  You have a HP warranty.

Use the warranty.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.