Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 790-0077c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I first bought the PC it took about 20 seconds to boot from the moment I pressed the power button. What I'm describing as completely booted is from power off to the point where the Username/Password screen is loaded. 

What seems to be much slower is before the bios Splash screen (HP).  Normally when the power button was pushed the (HP) splash appeared within 6 seconds. Now, it is at least 30 seconds before the splash screen appears. From the splash screen to the username/password screen is fast. 

I have already: Enabled "fast boot" in the Windows Power settings.

Disabled all boot devices in the bios except for the SSD Drive.

This started when I  had to replace the SSD Drive after the previous one became defective. 

Does anyone know what I need to look at? Provide more information? 

I've searched the forum,but nothing comes up discussing the long length of time between the power button being pushed to the (HP)splash screen.

Thank you for your time

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello @bladerunner1954 

Not sure if I can solve this but I'll offer a few suggestions.

The specs show it originally came with just a 1TB HDD installed.

What kind of SSD did you install and how did you reinstall Windows?

Fast Boot wont have anything to do with the slow bios splash screen and I would recommend you not have it enabled. It can cause other problems later.

What bios version is installed now? Press the Ctrl/Alt/S keys together to bring up the HP info window. There it will show you what bios is installed. If it doesn't pop up, go to Start and navigate to the HP Support Assistant. It will also give you the info.

HP Recommended

Yes it did come with a 1TB HDD installed. I replaced that with an 500gb Adata drive. It booted just fine from that..Speedy. That crashed so I've now replaced it with a 500 gb Western Digital Blue.  I downloaded Windows 10 from the Microsoft website and installed it from a thumb drive. The bios is BIOS : F.22-04/02/2019. Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

OK thanks.

Know that brand names only, doesn't help.

Can you give me the full model/description of that WDBlue?

There were some firmware updates for SSD's and I dont know if they apply to yours or not.

Also your bios should be version F.40. Although I don't normally advocate upgrading bios unless necessary, in your case I would.

You need to download and install this one... sp100522.exe

Download to your desktop and run it. Don't have anything else running at the time. Don't touch the PC during the install. Don't turn the power off during the install.

HP Recommended

Oh I apologize. I thought I put the model number of the drive in the note. I sent the note very early this morning and was quite drowsy. The model number of the drive is WDBNCE5000PNC-WRSN.

The bios is the original. I will do the upgrade. Thank you again for any help you can give.

HP Recommended

I updated the bios to F.40 as you recommended, but it didn't make the boot any quicker. 

HP Recommended

OK thanks.

Download this tool from WD and it will find the appropriate firmware update if there is one for that drive.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279

Not sure if you installed as UEFI or Legacy bios and if that motherboard will respond differently if so. You can see if its in Legacy or UEFI in the Bios under Security/Secure Boot Configuration. If Legacy Support says Disable, its in UEFI mode.

Other than that, all I can suggest is you go into the Bios and use F10 to reset it.

Tap the ESC key at boot, then in the menu, tap F10 for Bios.

In the Bios, tap F10 to reset and F10 again to save and reboot.

What happens?

Maybe its possible the that bios just doesn't play as well with that drive if the Adata drive caused a faster bios boot. I would really have no way of knowing.

Edited for typo

HP Recommended

Thanks again for the help. When I put the new drive in I tried to install it in UEFI. I couldn't find much information on exactly how to accomplish that. Yes the Bios says Legacy= Disable as you said . If I reset the bios , what is that going to do? Id it possible to configure it for UEFI support or is that something that needs to be done when the drive is installed or configured?

HP Recommended

In addition the System Information reports Bios mode = UEFI

HP Recommended

You are in UEFI mode. Just checking to see if you installed Windows in Legacy Mode.

Resetting the bios wont hurt anything but will change anything in its settings that might have been skewed for what ever reason.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.