Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-109
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've searched but am having some difficulty determining which video cards my HP Omen 880-109 will accept.  My current configuration has Intel core I5-8400, 2.8 GHz, 8 GB DDR4, 1 TB HDD, and integrated HD Graphics 630.  I like to play games such as Fortnite, as well as games with high quality graphics, but they are not running well with the integrated grahics card. Looking for a list (and suggestions) as to which video cards I can upgrade to with this system.  Also, will adding additional memory help my case? If so, recommendations as to which type and configuration?  Appreciate your help 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @silversong

Upgrading all depends on what you want to play, the game settings (assuming a 1080p monitor at 60Hz) and your "budget".

If all you playing is LoL and similar, then all you need is a GTX 1050.

If you play higher end stuff like AAA games then a GTX 1060 would be in order.

More memory? If your system is needing the ram while gaming then yes it will help.

Tests from a lot a reviewer have shown a significant difference in using 16 over 8. If its available, your system will use it.

You want to match the timings of the existing stick of ram, when installing a second stick.

Use a utility like Speccy or CPUZ to see what you have currently.

Adding an SSD to run Windows from will make the system feel a lot faster also with fast boot times. The games wont play better, but installed to SSD they will load a lot faster. It has one M.2 NVMe slot.

Let me know if you have other questions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @silversong

Upgrading all depends on what you want to play, the game settings (assuming a 1080p monitor at 60Hz) and your "budget".

If all you playing is LoL and similar, then all you need is a GTX 1050.

If you play higher end stuff like AAA games then a GTX 1060 would be in order.

More memory? If your system is needing the ram while gaming then yes it will help.

Tests from a lot a reviewer have shown a significant difference in using 16 over 8. If its available, your system will use it.

You want to match the timings of the existing stick of ram, when installing a second stick.

Use a utility like Speccy or CPUZ to see what you have currently.

Adding an SSD to run Windows from will make the system feel a lot faster also with fast boot times. The games wont play better, but installed to SSD they will load a lot faster. It has one M.2 NVMe slot.

Let me know if you have other questions.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response.  The first thing I did was install an SSD, so I'm good on that front.  I found a great price on a 1070 TI, just waiting for it to come in the mail. Hopefully I won't have to upgrade my PSU, but if so, it was still a great deal 🙂 I'll keep a lookout for additional memory, thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.