Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-288ef
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello ! (and sorry for my english...)

So, I just have a little question about a graphic card upgrade. I got a HP Pavilion 500-288ef. I would like to upgrade the graphic component (currently it's a GTX 645).

After some researches I have two choices (i don't want to change the PSU, so no cards with 6/8 pins things :Wink: ) :

- GTX 750 Ti (60 watts)

- GTX 1050 Ti (75 watts)

I THINK the PSU (300 watts) will be enough for this card (can you confirm ?)

But the two real issues are the following :

- will it be okay with the PCI-things ? I know there is 2.0 and 3.0...

- and, more important, will it be OK with my BIOS ? I don't want to connect the card and "beeeep" because of a BIOS incompatibility....

Tank you veryyy much for your help !

Bayard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Bayard73, welcome to the forum.

Your English is very Good!!

I couldn't find the Product Specifications on HP's website.  However, your motherboard has a PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0) slot for the video card.

You should check to assure that your motherboard has UEFI instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  Both of the video cards you listed require UEFI.  I believe that you do have it since your computer came with Win 8.  If it does have UEFI either of the video cards that you listed should work with your 300W PSU.  Just make certain to check the length of the card to make certain that it will fit into the space provided.  You can measure the space from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case where the card will be installed.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Bayard73, welcome to the forum.

Your English is very Good!!

I couldn't find the Product Specifications on HP's website.  However, your motherboard has a PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0) slot for the video card.

You should check to assure that your motherboard has UEFI instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  Both of the video cards you listed require UEFI.  I believe that you do have it since your computer came with Win 8.  If it does have UEFI either of the video cards that you listed should work with your 300W PSU.  Just make certain to check the length of the card to make certain that it will fit into the space provided.  You can measure the space from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case where the card will be installed.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks, very nice to you ! After verification, my motherboard has UEFI, and not Legacy ! So that's perfect I think 🙂

Just one last thing and my topic will be solved :

On Nvidia website, it is said that my current GPU (GTX 645) need "one slot" (you an see it there : https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-645-oem/specifications ), but on the specs page of the 1050 Ti it said that I need "2 slots" (here, when clicking "view full specs" : https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1050/ )

It's two slots at the rear of the case, no ? The card will not take 2 PCI slots or something like that ?

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Bayard73.

@Bayard73 wrote:

Thanks, very nice to you ! After verification, my motherboard has UEFI, and not Legacy ! So that's perfect I think 🙂  Yes, it should be perfect!

Just one last thing and my topic will be solved :

On Nvidia website, it is said that my current GPU (GTX 645) need "one slot" (you an see it there : https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-645-oem/specifications ), but on the specs page of the 1050 Ti it said that I need "2 slots" (here, when clicking "view full specs" : https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1050/ )

It's two slots at the rear of the case, no ? The card will not take 2 PCI slots or something like that ?  When it says that it takes two slots it means that it will cover two slots when installed, but only requires the one slot for proper installation.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, everything is more clear no 🙂

Question solved, have a nice day !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.