Did you mean: 
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Graphics Card Upgrade whats compatible with my Desktop

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0011na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi i have the HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0011na and i am looking at graphics card upgrade options but totaly lost around compatability. I guess it would need to be compact but i am unsure about the power supply and what would work with my motherboard ???

installed at the moment is: 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

any advice? 

thanks

christoble

3 REPLIES 3
Level 15
Level 15
12,108 11,904 1,251 3,803
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @christobel

Those HP models are not intended to be upgraded. You would need to upgrade the PSU but its not viable. Its a proprietary Small Form Factor (not a standard size) that's wired for the HP specifically and there isnt anything powerful enough available to replace it with. You have a 180 watt PSU and you would need something much more powerful to meet the requirements of a video card upgrade over a 1050.

Im sorry.

Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi 

Thanks for the response. That sucks.

One thing i was wondering though is whether you csn run a psu with say 400w externally and upgrade to a gtx 1060 ? 

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
12,108 11,904 1,251 3,803
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is no way I have of knowing if its safe. It might work, but I wouldnt risk it. If you are still under warranty, you will void it if something goes up in smoke.

Just saying.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation