christobel
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Graphics Card Upgrade whats compatible with my Desktop

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0011na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi i have the HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0011na and i am looking at graphics card upgrade options but totaly lost around compatability. I guess it would need to be compact but i am unsure about the power supply and what would work with my motherboard ???

installed at the moment is: 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

any advice? 

thanks

christoble

3 REPLIES 3
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @christobel

Those HP models are not intended to be upgraded. You would need to upgrade the PSU but its not viable. Its a proprietary Small Form Factor (not a standard size) that's wired for the HP specifically and there isnt anything powerful enough available to replace it with. You have a 180 watt PSU and you would need something much more powerful to meet the requirements of a video card upgrade over a 1050.

Im sorry.

christobel
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi 

Thanks for the response. That sucks.

One thing i was wondering though is whether you csn run a psu with say 400w externally and upgrade to a gtx 1060 ? 

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is no way I have of knowing if its safe. It might work, but I wouldnt risk it. If you are still under warranty, you will void it if something goes up in smoke.

Just saying.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation