Fishmiester
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HDMI To Monitor connection signal problem

HP Pavilion Power -580-015na

Story

So I have finally bought a new Gaming pc for myself, as well as a new monitor. 

Notes

Let me just add that all the cables are brand new an have been tested on other devices including Power ports, HDMI Cable Etc.     The back of the monitor has a VGA port as well as the pc, however, the PC's port is 24 slots and bigger than the monitors VGA port of 15 slots

Computer information

My Computer is an HP Pavilion Power Desktop - 580-015na. With GTX 1050 graphics card, 8 GB Ram / 2 TB HDD Storage, Intel Core i5-7400 Processor with Windows 10.

Problem

The HMDI is in the pc and connected to the monitor, but for some reason, the monitor cannot find a connection in any of the ports. ive tried HDMI 2 aswell as 1 but same problem. 

Is there a solution or will i need a VGA adaptor that could fix this. Or will i need someone to come look at it???

3 REPLIES 3
Level 12
Level 12
5,780 5,768 545 1,203
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I don't see any VGA ports on the back I/O shield. The GTX 1050 usually does not have VGA ports. The graphics card supports HDMI and DisplayPort.

This may be a simple problem.

I have done this many times.

You may be connecting the HDMI cable to either of the onboard HDMI graphics ports located on the rectangular motherboard I/O shield. This I/O shield also has Audio, Ethernet, and USB ports.

These two HDMI ports are disabled when a discrete graphics card (GTX 1050) is installed on the motherboard.

The GTX 1050 HDMI port as well as additional DisplayPort video outputs are located in one of the breakout backplate slots.

Tom

0 Kudos
Fishmiester
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have only tried to put the HDMI cable in the HDMI port on the outside case, I have no idea if it's connected to the

motherboard or graphics card. 

However thank you very much for replying, if you could: Describe how I would go about fixing this troubling problem.

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,780 5,768 545 1,203
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

You are welcome.

Your monitor must have an HDMI or DVI input connection. If it only has VGA you cannot connect this monitor to your new PC unless you get an adapter (not recommended).

Please review the following image that represents the back of your PC's I/O shield.

I-O shield.PNG

There are two HDMI ports (item 3) to provide video output using the integrated motherboard graphics.

You will not get video if you connect to these two ports because you have an Nvidia GTX 1050 installed in the motherboard.

The GTX 1050 HDMI connection is also at the back of your chassis. It is not inside the chassis.

Look for more HDMI/DisplayPort connections where the breakout panels are located. The breakout panels align with the PCIe slots on the motherboard. The GTX 1050 is installed in a PCIe x16 slot on your motherboard. The back chassis I/O ports (HDMI-DisplayPort) for the 1050 should stick out like a sore thumb.

Check the following image of a GTX 1050.  Look for something similar at the back of your chassis. You must connect a DVI or HDMI cable from your monitor to this.

1050.PNG

I can't provide any more assistance. I hope this will help you solve the problem.

Tom

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation