Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
690-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my guess is the integrated GPU is using ram even though it's not needed because the PC has a RX 580. I see no way in the bios to disable the onboard GPU so am I just screwed out of 2.1 GB of RAM? 

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

@SirDanOfCamelot, welcome to the forum.

Your assessment is correct.  The Integrated Graphics is disabled when a discrete card is installed (AMD RX 580).  This is why there are not settings in the UEFI.  The system still dedicates some of the system memory for Integrated Graphics.  I believe that it will be used by the system if needed, however.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Are you sure windows will still use it if needed? I'm not so sure because although windows shows 8GB installed it says only 5.9GB usable & 2.1GB hardware reserved

HP Recommended

@SirDanOfCamelot, no I am not certain that the system will use it.  In fact, I was thinking about shared video memory.  This is system memory that is shared by video and will be used as needed.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I have the same issue, upon some research, I have discovered that the iGPU is not disabled, in fact, you can use it absolutely fine from within Linux, with a discrete video card attached (e.g. the RX 580), furthermore, I lost 2.1 GB of ram only after updating the firmware in the hopes of resolving the issue, before, it was close to 1 GB instead. So now, there's 2.1 GB of unusable memory across all operating systems (Windows, any Linux distro, FreeBSD, etc), for seemingly no reason other than reserved memory for the iGPU that cannot be disabled by the end user.

HP Recommended

Is it fair to advertise 8gb of RAM knowingly only only 5.9gb is available? 

HP Recommended

I haven't updated the firmware in a new 690-0024 and as yoiu say, "only" 1.1GB is reserved for hardware.  CPU-Z reports the integrated GPU has 1GB of memory so that is definitely where it is going.  The firmware update must change that to 2GB.

HP Recommended

Perhaps these visual aids will better help explain things. I bought an HP Pavilion 690-0024 from Best Buy. Here is some information that is listed about the product.

Bestbuy.PNG

Here are the results of running the Oculus Rift Compatablity Tool. 

oculus.PNG

I really hope HP fixes this and makes me a fan of their products. It's not right to mislead people. 

HP Recommended

Are any of you still having the issue?

If so, please post your specific product number of your model.

It can be found in the HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

I am still experiencing this, and have been talking to someone from HP for a while now about it, I should be hearing back from them next week, apparently.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.