Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi

(HP Pavilion 690-0020) It has the same problem. It takes away 2gb of ram and gives me 5.9, I called HP support and they told me the 2gb of ram is for "background processes" (total bs) so there were 2 options for me to do

1. Buy another 8 gb ram stick (so I could go from 6 to 14gb of ram since 2gb will still be taken away)

2. Upgrade the 2400g to a ryzen 1st or 2nd gen cpu (without integrated vega graphics) 

I decided to do the easier one and buy a second stick from amazon

I would upgrade the processor in a few months but for now I decided to just get more ram since im waiting for the second gen ryzen chips to go on sale (im looking for a 2600 or 2700)

(PS you can take a torx screwdriver and remove the VGA cover and use it for another monitor until HP fixes the issue)

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@insanefire10 wrote:

Hi

(HP Pavilion 690-0020) It has the same problem. It takes away 2gb of ram and gives me 5.9, I called HP support and they told me the 2gb of ram is for "background processes" (total bs),..

@insanefire10 

That is true, not bs. You need to know the architecture (hardware) and Windows (software) before saying anything bs otherwise it is a bs itself.The "missing" RAM is for hardware reserved and that can vary (not fixed) depending on many factors

The reduction in available system memory depends on the configuration of the following:
• The devices that are installed in the computer and the memory that is reserved by those devices
• The ability of the motherboard to handle memory
• The System BIOS version and settings
• The version of Windows that is installed
• Other system settings

The following article shows you how to reduce hardware reserved RAM

https://appuals.com/windows-10-wont-use-full-ram/

Please try at your own risk. If system is unstable, you need to UNDO that.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The hardware reserved ram is being used for the integrated vega 11 graphics which again cant be disabled in the bios, so if you changed the cpu to something without an igpu, such as the 2600, the 2gb of vram that the igpu was using will become system ram

HP Recommended

The 2GB of RAM is reserved for the integrated vega 11 graphics. Since the computer has the RX 580 graphics card with 4GB of onboard RAM, the integrated graphics are not used. HP, in their infinite wisdom, chose to NOT allow the user to disable the integrated graphics, thus essentially STEALING 2GB of RAM for ZERO REASON.

This is ABSOLUTELY BS! You need to learn about the SPECIFIC COMPUTER/MOTHERBOARD/BIOS that is being discussed BEFORE attacking others, lest you continue to make yourself look the fool.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.