Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Firebird with VoodooDNA 802
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Firebird with VoodooDNA 802 Desktop PC which failed to bootup.  The PC was upgraded to Windows 10 some time ago but was left unused for quite some time and now failed to boot up.  I want to get thjs PC up and running again, please anyone has any good suggestion where I need to begin troubleshooting?

Eversince the OS was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and then finally Windows 10 was because Windows 7 was unstable.  There was a shortfall after the upgrade though the PC was functioning at that time: the 3 GPU could not be used simultanepusly as there was not an updated driver to support this mode of opera tion.

Please help me !

James Puah

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

@9V1JP 

I don't know if there is anything we can do here on the forum about that really old setup. It came out about 11 years ago.

They did have a few of those release with a flawed power adapter and there was a recall on them, but you had a short window of time to get it replaced. I would have the power adapter tested and see if its pushing any current.

Power adapter - Rated at 350W, 20VDC output P/N: 466954-001

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01986915

Also make sure all the cables inside are securely connected. Re-seat them if you can.

Thats about the best I can offer.

HP Recommended

Power supply verified AOK

HP Recommended

@iMaxx  Didn't you work on these at one time? Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Wow, this is a blast from the past!

Yeah I worked on the team for this product.

First off, congrats on getting Win 10 installed. I tried when Win 10 came out and didn't have any luck. The last OS I got running on a Firebird was Windows 7 and that was a chore in itself. Win7 was also the last OS that could, if done right, see the two GPU's and kick SLI in.

As for not booting up, I will assume that you are meaning it is not power on at all?

If that's the case and you say the PSU is working, then the main board has probably died.

How do you know the PSU is working. Is the Voodoo Mask light coming on?

I think one of the signs that the PSU was going bad was if the Voodoo Mask would pulse and fluctuate.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

The lights came on well, the windows booted up halfway before the windows 10 main screen and then stopped there.  Think there's lots of disk activities.  Really like to get it up and running again.  

HP Recommended

Ah then it sounds like an OS issue, and not hardware.
I dunno what I can add here as I would doubt that Windows 10, even now, has drivers that will work with the unit.
As mentioned, I had a heck of a time getting Win10 to work and finally gave up. Win 7 was the last supported OS we had on that. 😞

I am an HP Employee
-----
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Windows 10 did boot up successfully some time ago except it never see all the gpus.  Ehere can I get a copy of windows 7 if I like to revert back?  Its such a cool machine to discard.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure where you could get a legal copy. You can try calling Microsoft and see if they can get your the OS based on your COA sticker, but it may just be Vista.

But I know what you mean about not getting rid of it.

I still have mine, too. It works, but I just keep it out on display.

I am an HP Employee
-----
HP Recommended

Now that we have more details 🙄

@iMaxx  I'm wondering if considering its age, the hard drive is going south?

If Windows 10 was activated already on that motherboard, a new drive wont be an issue to install to.

I imagine those Voodoo setups used Sata and the newer advanced format HDD's or a 2.5 inch SSD will work if he does have to replace it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.