Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP OMEN 880 memory compatibility problems

HP OMEN 880 AMD Ryzen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I own the HP OMEN 880-028nv with the following specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X with bios F.11, 2x8 GB @2400, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.

I wanted to upgrade memory to 32GB which according to motherboard 8309 specs was possible. But nowhere is specified what kind of memory is compatible. And I don't expect the obvious answer, DDR4, but specifically what speeds are compatible, which brands are compatible. Every board maker provides the customer with specific memory compatibility for every motherboard, named QVL, except HP. 

So, when I asked official HP service here in Greece where I live, they told me that the computer can take ANY DDR4 memory. So, I looked the internet and bought 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill F4-2400C15Q-32GFXR which is compatible with RYZEN and compatible with B350 chipset (the motherboard chipset), according to their site.

Despite the fact that I have the latest bios F.11 for the board 8309, the bios does not recognize the memory. Bios reads 64MB per DIMM, instead of 8GB per DIMM and a total of 256MB instead of 32GB. When it boots to windows 10 home x64 thought, Windows recognize 31,9GB!

When I run the 3D Mark, the integrated systeminfo read the same as the bios, 256MB. AIDA64 on the other hand, reads the accurate specs of each module.

It is obvious that HP does not support yet on their AMD boards 8309, any kind of DDR4 as the HP tech support stated. I don't know if my computer become unstable because of that incompatibility. I only tested them today, with no problem though. We will see in the following days if the system is still stable.

If a HP expert see this message, please do something! Make a bios update for more memory compatibilities!!! Since memory makers produce memory modules for the RYZEN and B350, how can HP produce motherboards with NO compatibity with those modules? And why HP does not provide with the appropriate information to their clients, about the compatible memory modules for their motherboards and their computer systems?

I would appreciate if someone from HP, who knows what I am talking about, answer me about the problem I am facing.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,578 11,569 564 606
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@apachejohn

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

This is a great place to get support, find answers to your technical queries.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 
They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 
Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

apachejohn
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again,

You told me on May 5, that you brought my issue to the attention of the appropriate team of HP and that someone will contact me for further information.

Today is June 12 and until today noone from HP contacted me.

It is almost 40 days and I still have memory compatibility problems with often uncontrolled reboots.

Is there anybody there in HP listening?

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
apachejohn
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DISAPPOINTMENT. Pure disappointment.

The answer that the "expert team" of HP-Greece gave me as a solution to memory compatibility problems is the following:

"We cannot guarantee that all dimm modules are compatible with your HP computer. The part number that is compatible (and already using) with your computer, is Part number xxxxxxx"

Incredible! Now, if you guys believe that this is a SOLUTION to the problem I am facing which I already described you with every detail, then I must admit I made a terrible mistake to give you 2.500 euros for your PC. While motherboard makers give specific directions on which dimm modules are compatible with their boards giving you plenty of options, HP is telling their customers that ONLY the dimm modules that comes with the PC is compatible!!!

Great! Thank you very much. Now I believe that experts in HP will proudly say that problem is solved...

The truth is far from that. As for me, since the official HP "solution" is the one I recieved, I excluded HP from any further future purchases and I miss my 2.500 euros...

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,912 11,892 791 781
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@apachejohn

I understand your disappointment and Frustration

I'm getting your case escalated and the concerned team will be getting back to you regarding this concern within 2 business days

Thanks

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation