cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
gPannu
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

HP OMEN CPU Upgrade

HP Recommended
HP OMEN 880-020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey I am currently using the HP OMEN 880-020 and I have a Ryzen 5 1400 processor. My buddy went ahead and bought a new CPU for his pc and he is gifting me with a Ryzen 7 1700 with wraith cooler. I am a newbie when it comes to computers and that was the reason I went ahead and bought a pre-built. I want to upgrade the cpu though but I read online that the wraith cooler will not work with the motherboard. Also it says to update your bios and currently my bios is showing as F.04-07/10/2017 I have tried to update it but I get the message "This update is for BIOS family 8437, version F.50. I am getting the cpu in a few days and I just want to be prepared to install it correctly. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,604 684 1,666
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You want this BIOS update (Link) for MB SSID 8309.

AMD CPU heatsinks (Wraith) use a rectangular mounting system.

HP, for some reason, uses a square CPU socket heatsink mounting system on the Higos motherboard.

The Ryzen 1700 is a 65 watt CPU so hopefully the current HP installed heatsink and fan should be okay.

Regards

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
1 REPLY 1
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,604 684 1,666
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You want this BIOS update (Link) for MB SSID 8309.

AMD CPU heatsinks (Wraith) use a rectangular mounting system.

HP, for some reason, uses a square CPU socket heatsink mounting system on the Higos motherboard.

The Ryzen 1700 is a 65 watt CPU so hopefully the current HP installed heatsink and fan should be okay.

Regards

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation