Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 25L
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi again.

My Omen 25L came with a Ryzen 3700x and a RTX 2070 Super. Everything runs smooth and stable. The cooling (stock) is done by some air coolers from Cooler Master (I guess)

However I ask myself if there is any option to change the CPU cooler. I am looking for a more silent solution (even if the current one is NOT to noisy).

What are the part numbers of the liquid (AIO) cooling systems HP is buidling in their top-tier HP Omens?

Is there any recommondation for a simple but very effective 3rd party CPU cooler (e.g. Dark Rock Pro, Noctua, etc.) which means a good upgrade for the current cooler?

Unfortunately I can't find any review of the stock cooler which HP put in their Omens and therefor I can't compare the current one with e.g. the Dark Rock, etc. in terms of noise, cooling down the Ryzen 3700x, build in, etc.

Would be great if there is anyone who can tell. 😉

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Azoura 

You could absolutely swap the air cooler for an AIO. HP is using CoolerMaster for those parts now, yes. But HP does not have a part number listed. I'm not sure if or when they will. That model Omen is very new on the market and it may take some time to get info. But if its like all the previous Omens, HP wont be selling parts like that anyways.

You would be better off buying your own cooler of your choice. The only thing is, I do not know yet if your back plate is configured for an AMD layout, or if its like the previous Omens that all used the Intel back plate config. I'm going to assume the later at the moment. If I ever can get HP to respond to my queries, I will let you know what I find out.

HP Recommended

Hi @Photoray002,

thank you for your reply.

Well... no risk, no fun! 🙂 I have just bought an beQuiet! Dark Rock TF (BK020) and successfully installed it to my HP Omen 25L.

As you said, the backplate layout is for intel (and some sort of custom solution) so you have to remove the backplate first before you will be able to install the cooler. HP decided to put 2 additional glue stripes between the backplate and the motherboard so you have to be carefull while removing the stock backplate.

Once this has been done you are able to install the (intel) backplate which comes with the Dark Rock TF cooler. Some screws later the new cooler has been setteled on the Ryzen 3700x CPU. Funny thing is that you need to assemble an intel backplate to cool down an AMD CPU. 🙂

Important to know:

The mentioned cooler fits perfectly into the Omen 25L. Enough space between the graphics cards (RTX 2070 super) and also enough space between the RAM modules. There are approx 2-3 cm space between the first fan and the side panel so I would assume that any larger cooler won't fit into the case since it can't be closed than anymore.

Im quite happy! The new fan is (much) more silent than the stock cooler (which wasn't bad at all!!) and it keeps my CPU cool. In idle there is 35-40C and during games it won't get over 75C which is decent as well. The noise it quite low and really comfortable.

Regards,

Azoura

HP Recommended

Hey thanks for the update.

I'm guessing the screw assembly for the BeQuiet was different than the stock plate, ergo why you still had to remove it. But it was still an Intel layout..  Good to know and what I suspected. 🙂

Did you have to remove the motherboard to do this, or was there an access hole behind the motherboard? On the previous Obelisk, there wasn't and you had to remove the motherboard.

HP Recommended

That was exactly the case. The layout of the backplate was almost "intel like" but the screws are positioned in a different way so there was no chance to assemble the new cooler it with the existing backplate.

Yes, I had to remove the whole mainboard. There is no access hole or anything like that on the other side of the case. Anyway, I didn't manage to remove the back panel of the case. Do you know how to do so? Just for the case I need to remove it some day. 😉

HP Recommended

Nope you would still have to remove the mobo anyway.

The only option I can think of is to DIY the panel and cut a hole out "carefully" as to not damage/remove the standoffs. You can add a protective strip around the edges. There are YouTube vids on that sort of stuff. But if you don't think you'll be going back and forth on heat sinks, I would leave it as is.

Disclaimer: Just so anyone else who reads this knows... This is only an opinion and not endorsed by HP. Do so at your own risk.  Any alterations can void the warranty. 😏

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.