Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 30L Desktop GT13-0255st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a HP Omen 30L Desktop GT13-0255st with the following specs:

• Intel® Core™ i9-10900K w/ RGB Liquid Cooling (3.7 GHz, up to 5.3 GHz, 20 MB cache, 10 cores)

• NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti (11 GB GDDR6 dedicated)

• HyperX® 8 GB DDR4-3200 XMP RGB SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)

• BU RCTO OMN DoradoOC Z490 (Motherboard?)

I chose to buy the minimum RAM to save some money on HP's markup costs for RAM. Now I am looking for compatible RAM and cant seem to find the exact Motherboard model to check the specs. Are there recommendations for RAM that will work best? I am thinking of using 4 x 16 GB. Is this configuration capable of handing 128 GB RAM? Should I instead purchase 2 x 32 GB to allow for upgrading in the future?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@acttown , welcome to the forum.

You can use CPU-Z to find the brand and timings for the current memory:  https://download.cnet.com/CPU-Z/3000-2086_4-10050423.html

Here is the advertisement for the model on HP Store:  https://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&urlLangId=&catEntry...

It appears that the maximum memory is 64 GB.  Also, it gives you the specifications for the memory.  I am not certain that you can use faster than the 3200 MHz memory.  You can look in the BIOS/UEFI to see if HP has provided other XMP Profiles that you can use.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue, and I am actually about the return the computer, as HP are making it almost impossible to upgrade the ram on your own, tried 4 different kits and the HP OCC is not recognizing them and is not allowing to overclock to the desired 3200mhz. 

HP Recommended
Spoiler

There are no XMP profiles in the bios at all. 

HP Recommended

@hwsense,

I believe the XMP profiles are built into the BIOS/UEFI, but not accessible.  From what I have read in other threads, the way to overcome this is by using the same memory that came with the computer to upgrade.  This will retain the 3200 MHz.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Again, I have the same issue and computer, check out my thread for all the 30L users. There are no XMP profiles built, only JEDEC is acceptable. 

And yes only ram bought from HP on a $158 per 8gb is acceptable by HP OCC, which is absolutely ridiculous, when 8GB of the same memory on Amazon is $44.

HP Recommended

Alternatively, you can get a whole new set of low PnP rams with low latency like CL15 and DDR4 2666mhz. 

Given that the Hyperx rams we have are running at 3200/2933mhz (motherboard restriction) with CL22  you will have improvement over the original ram. So buying the cheapest possible ram then upgrade with other brands totally might work

HP Recommended

Yes that's definitely an option, although not ideal, it would have been so much easier to just add the XMP option in the Bios. 

BTW even the good 2666mhz memory is hard to find these days. 

HP Recommended

No only up to 16 gb. modules and 3200 Mhz speed. It is only upgradable up to 64 gb total all four Dimms occupied. You will have to enable xmp profile in the bios to get the full 3200 Mhz. It will probable only run at 2133 Mhz until you enable xmp.

HP Recommended

There is no Xmp profile option in the Bios, all is done via software. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.