Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 870-210
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a HP Omen 870-210 Desktop that I've had for a couple of years now. Over the weekend, I got a new HD gaming monitor that I connected to my desktop HP computer through a DP port, and, now every time I boot up my computer, it does this strange beeping pattern about 4 or 5 times in a row before my system will actually boot up where I can log in.

I'm assuming it has to the new monitor I hooked up to it because it wasn't doing this before. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, and it doesn't sound right. Hoping someone in the HP community can help me out with this. Also, just for clarification, I have dual monitors hooked up to the desktop. The newest HD monitor is connected through Display Port, and the second (older) monitor is connected through HDMI.

Do I possibly need a different or newer video card because of my new monitor? I'm kind of lost. Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Pascal

The new LG HD monitor I bought and connected to my HP Omen desktop is listed below: 

LG 27GL650F-B 27 Inch Full HD Ultragear G-Sync Compatible Gaming Monitor with 144Hz Refresh Rate and HDR 10

• 27 Inch Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS Display
  • 144Hz Refresh Rate
  • 1ms Motion Blur Reduction
  • Height / Pivot / Tilt adjustable Stand
  • Radeon FreeSync Technology
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thats a mini. But take a tape measure and measure from the back of where the existing card is, to where the space ends on the other side. You might still have enough space.

If the mini already barely fits the space now, you would have to go with a 2060 mini.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Hello @phbalanced 

Im not sure what is happening. Its booting without black screening which is good, but the beeps are probably bios beep codes coming from inside the PC.

What is the pattern of the beeps? Reboot again and listen to the beeps. Does it beep a number of beeps close together, pause and do it again, or does it make a single beep, pause and beep again? Need to know the pattern.

Do you have two monitors connected now, one old and one new? Disconnect the new one and see if it still beeps with only the old monitor again.

Next, reconnect the new monitor by itself this time and also try different ports. If you can switch over from DP to HDMI, try that.

Tell me what happens.

HP Recommended

Hi there, thanks so much for replying. Much appreciated!

It beeps like the pattern you mentioned. It does it a number of times together, pauses, and then two short beeps, and then starts the same pattern all over again. Does it like 4 or 5 times before it actually boots up to the login screen. 

It's never done this before in the 2+ years I've had it. Thought my system was about to die. So I backed all my content up on my external hard drive, just in case. 

I do have two monitors connected now. The new HD LG Gaming Monitor I just bought that plugged in through a DP port, and an older monitor that I've had for a while connected through a HDMI port. 

When I get home tonight from work, I will try what you suggested by disconnecting the new one, rebooting, see what happens, and then trying that again with the old one. I'll let you know what happens.

Appreciate the quick reply. Thought I was going to have to wait weeks. So happy I didn't. So thank you!

HP Recommended

OK thanks. You left me a little confused on the beep pattern. Does it beep two short beeps, pause then two short beeps again?

If you're not sure, when you get home, listen for it again and let me know. Ill see if I can find a beep code for that.

HP Recommended

I think it's like 4 beeps in a row, short pause, then 2 beeps, and then repeats 4-5x. 

But I will confirm that once I get home, reboot it, and listen for the exact pattern. Thanks again for your help! 

HP Recommended

Okay, so I got home and tried it again.

I was mistaken on the cadence of the beeps. It's 3 beeps at a slow pace, short pause, then 3 beeps at a faster pace, another short pause, and then it starts all over again.

It did that 5 times in a row before the login screen came up, and that was my computer booting up with only the new HD LG Gaming Monitor connected to it through a DP port. And I switched which DP port I was using. 

I did try it with only having my older monitor connected to it, and it did not have the beeping issue. So it's definitely the monitor, which is plugged into the video card, if I'm not mistaken. I would switch out the DP cable with an HDMI cable, but my video card has 3 DP ports and only 1 HDMI port. So I can't use 2 HDMI cables to hook up my dual monitors. There are a few other HDMI ports on the back of the unit, but I don't think they are attached to the video card, since they are in a completely different area. 

Let me know if you find out anything that corresponds to the beeps the way I explained, when you have time. Thanks again for your help!

HP Recommended

Can you connect the new LG with the one HDMI port? Leave the old monitor disconnected for the moment.

Does it beep with using the LG on the HDMI?

HP Recommended

I tried that. No beeping. Definitely the DP ports. Man, and I've got 3 of them and only 1 HDMI on the video card that came with the PC. I've just never used/tried the DP ports until I got this new monitor last Friday, and I used the cable that came with the monitor. How crazy. Who knew. Not me apparently. haha.

Hmm. Oh well, I guess I need to get a new video card? Is that what I need to do? I'm assuming if I attached my second monitor to one of the other HDMI ports on the back, it won't work because those HDMI ports on not on the video card, right? Only asking because I have no idea. Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

You're closer but not out of the woods yet.

Your old monitor doesn't have a DP port to also see if it causes the beep code, correct?

Just need to be certain if its the DP port itself on the monitor, or the DP ports on the graphics card, or even the DP cable.

Can you connect the Omen to another monitor that does have a DP port?

Or even connect that new LG to different computers DP port and see if its the DP port on the monitor that's acting up.

Also, did you try a different DP cable?

Did you buy the LG at a local store or the web?

If a local store like Best Buy, perhaps take both PC and monitor to the Geek Squad and have them test the new monitor on another computer (if you don't have access to one) and they can determine if its the DP on the monitor or the graphics card, or the cable.

Hope that makes sense.

HP Recommended

Correct. My old monitor has VGA, DVI-I, and HDMI. I'm using the HDMI port. 

I did try the other DP ports on the card. It beeped on all of them.

I have not tried a different cable yet. I will do that and get back to you.

Oh, and I bought the monitor on Amazon. I am sure I could return it. Already trashed the box though. Ooops. 

Let me try a different cable and I'll let you know. Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.